Great Position in a great Department.

VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Biometrics and Quantitative Modeling of Forest Ecosystems

Department of Forest Resources
 College of Natural Resources
University of Idaho

Please see information about the Forest Resources program following the
contact information below.

RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:
The Department of Forest Resources, College of Natural Resources,
University of Idaho, invites applications for an academic-year, tenure-
track faculty position as Assistant Professor. The position is
approximately 40% teaching, 40% research, 5% Advising, 5% On-campus
Service, and 10% Outreach/Service/Technology Transfer.

Research responsibilities: develop an externally funded research program
that advances biometric knowledge as applied to forest resources and uses
quantitative modeling tools to understand complex terrestrial ecosystems.
This program should include collaborative work with other scientists from
a wide range of natural resource disciplines.

Teaching responsibilities: design and deliver two undergraduate
courses/year focused on forest resource measurements and inventory plus
one to two graduate courses/year.

Service and outreach responsibilities: interactions with audiences and
stakeholders outside the university and outside academia are encouraged.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Completed Ph.D. with emphasis on biometrics and quantitative modeling of
ecosystems with at least one degree in forestry or a related discipline,
experience applying biometrics and modeling skills to forest ecosystems,
ability to compete for external funding, demonstrated research publication
in refereed journals, and evidence of interest in and ability to teach
undergraduate forest and rangeland measurements.

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Demonstrated interest and ability in teaching, interest and experience in
modeling biological systems, skill in verbal and written communication,
interest in and/or skill in forest mensuration, experience and training in
spatial analysis of forest or rangeland resources.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Apply online at http://www.hr.uidaho.edu.  Send hard copy of the following
to address below:  letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of
teaching philosophy, description of research focus, academic transcripts,
contact information for three references, and copies of one or two of your
refereed publications with a brief explanation of your role in preparing
these publications if they are coauthored.

Review of applications will begin September 8, 2006 and will continue
until a successful candidate has been identified with a prospective
starting date of January 2007.

Contact: Chair, Biometrics Search Committee, Department of Forest
Resources, College of Natural Resources, P.O. Box 441133, Moscow, ID 83844-
1133.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - 208-885-7507 or [EMAIL PROTECTED] - 208-885-
7311
Forest Resources Program

The University of Idaho is a publicly supported comprehensive land-grant
institution with principal responsibility in Idaho for performing research
and granting the Doctor of Philosophy degree.  Over 13,000 students from
all states and more than 80 countries choose programs from a vast array of
disciplines.

Moscow is the gateway to a natural wonderland.  It is a thriving community
of 20,000 friendly people located in the northern part of Idaho about 90
miles southeast of Spokane, Washington.  The surrounding Palouse hills and
the mountains and lakes of northern Idaho provide a scenic background for
university facilities.  Skiing, boating, and other outdoor recreation
resources are available within easy driving distance.  They include the
Sawtooth and Hells Canyon national recreation areas, Frank Church River of
No Return Wilderness, and scenic rivers such as the Snake, Clearwater,
Salmon, and Selway.

The Department of Forest Resources (http://www.cnr.uidaho.edu/forres/) is
one of five departments in the College of Natural Resources
(http://www.cnrhome.uidaho.edu). Our vision is to be widely recognized as
leaders in education and research to advance understanding and management
of forest ecosystems.  We produce outstanding graduates equipped to be
successful forest managers and scientists. Our graduates are distinguished
by their interlocking and multidisciplinary set of analytical skills and
tools. They acquire the habit of questioning assumptions as information is
gathered, summarized, and interpreted via critical thinking exercises in
various courses and based on data sets passed from course to course.
Students become familiar with local species and site variability, spatial
analysis, and data processing tools such as models and electronic
spreadsheets.

 The B.S. in Forest Resources is a professional forestry program
accredited by the Society of American Foresters. In addition to their
interdisciplinary education, students can emphasize ecology, forest
ecosystem processes, forest social sciences, fire ecology and management,
remote sensing and geographic information systems, watershed management,
silviculture, forest genetics, and other specialties. All of our programs
include hands-on training, field experience and personal attention from a
faculty devoted to education.
Our research mission is to conduct and disseminate high quality, objective
and relevant research on forest ecosystems, the people who value them, and
the institutions affecting them. Our distinctive research transcends
descriptive analysis to develop an understanding of underlying mechanisms
and links that understanding to decision-making processes, and how
institutions change in response to changes in ecosystem conditions and
socioeconomic values. We present results in high impact refereed journals
and peer-reviewed literature.

Our outreach and service mission helps society understand what we have
learned.  We disseminate our research results in publications, other
media, including websites, professional presentations, coursework,
workshops and continuing education activities. We help forest managers to
link decision-making to an understanding of underlying forest mechanisms
and the people; expose the general public to the rapid change in forest
science; and provide knowledge related to key issues, such as fire,
invasive species, water and sustainability.
To enrich education through diversity, the University of Idaho is an
Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.