Imagine a stable population in which a favorable new genotype has
appeared and is increasing. That sure looks like selection FOR the
new genotype to me. On the other hand, if we start with the same
population and change the environment so some of the old genotypes no
longer do well, I'd call that selection AGAINST those genotypes.

This is all just semantics. If confused, stick to "differential reproduction".

Jane

At 07:16 AM 7/13/2006, Malcolm McCallum wrote:
>Am I understanding you correct? =20
>Natural Selection selects against unfavorable phenotypes.
>Sexual Selection selects for favorable phenotypes.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>VISIT HERPETOLOGICAL CONSERVATION AND BIOLOGY www.herpconbio.org =
><http://www.herpconbio.org>=20
>A New Journal Published in Partnership with Partners in Amphibian and =
>Reptile Conservation
>and the World Congress of Herpetology.
>=20
>Malcolm L. McCallum
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Biological Sciences
>Texas A&M University Texarkana
>2600 Robison Rd.
>Texarkana, TX 75501
>O: 1-903-223-3134
>H: 1-903-791-3843
>Homepage: https://www.eagle.tamut.edu/faculty/mmccallum/index.html
>=20

"The whole person must have both the humility to nurture the Earth
and the pride to go to Mars." --Wyn Wachhorst, The Dream of Spaceflight

Jane Shevtsov
co-founder, <http://www.worldbeyondborders.org/>World Beyond Borders
visit my blog, <http://perceivingwholes.blogspot.com/>Perceiving Wholes

"Perhaps one day... the world, our world, won't be upside down, and
then any newborn human being will be welcome. Saying, "Welcome. Come.
Come in. Enter. The entire earth will be your kingdom. Your legs will
be your passport, valid forever."" --Eduardo Galeano, Latin American writer