From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news on behalf of =
Anon.
Sent: Wed 8/16/2006 8:39 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: standard deviation of a slope

Sarah Gilman wrote:
> Is it possible to calculate the standard deviation of the slope of a=20
> regression line and does anyone know how?  My best guess after=20
> reading several stats books is that the standard deviation and the=20
> standard error of the slope are different names for the same thing.

Technically, the standard error is the standard deviation of the
sampling distribution of a statistic, so it is the same as the standard
deviation.  So, you're right.

> The context of this question is  a manuscript comparing the=20
> usefulness of regression to estimate the slope of a relationship=20
> under different environmental conditions.  A reviewer suggested=20
> presenting the standard deviation of the slope rather than the=20
> standard error to compare the precision of the regression under=20
> different conditions.  For unrelated reasons, the sample sizes used=20
> in the compared regressions vary  from 10 to 200.  The reviewer=20
> argues that the sample size differences are influencing the standard=20
> error values, and so the standard deviation (which according to the=20
> reviewer doesn't incorporate the sample size) would be a more robust=20
> comparison of the precision of the slope estimate among these=20
> different regressions.

Well of course the sample sizes differences are influencing the standard
error values!  And so they should: if you have a larger sample size,
then the estimates are more accurate.  Why would one want anything other
than this to be the case?

In some cases, standard errors are calculated by dividing a standard
deviation by sqrt(n), but these are only special cases.

It may be that the reviewer can provide further enlightenment, but from
what you've written, I'm not convinced that they have the right idea.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf H"llstr"min katu 2b)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540