Hi all,

I have two questions that I'm hoping someone on the listserv can help
with.

1.  We are studying golden hamsters in the wild (southern Turkey),
and want to get a camera down into burrows to record activity.  The
burrow entrances are ~4.5 cm in diameter, and tunnels can be up to
200 cm in length (sometimes longer), with a sharp turn into the nest
chamber.  Therefore, we need something small, works in low (no)
light, and is maneuverable (i.e. can turn corners).

Does something like this exist?  Any information would be most
appreciated.

2.  Are there any published data on typical eye:ear, eye:skull and/or
ear:skull size ratios for nocturnal vs diurnal rodents? (or any other
taxa, for that matter...).  Quick google and web of science searches
yielded nothing that directly addresses this question.

Thanks for your help.
Feel free to answer me directly, and if folks are interested, I'll
post a summary of responses.

Misty

M. Elsbeth (Misty) McPhee
Cornell University