Dear All - Here are the summaries of the replies to my question about
yellow flowers in the fall. A brief "summary" of the summaries shows the
following major thoughts with my comments in quotes:
1. Perhaps the fall migration of hummingbirds, which prefer red flowers,
selects for other colors at this time, and perhaps yellow.
"I like this one, but why should this select for yellow preferentially?"
2. Yellows predominate in the Composites, which one person said
originated largely in South America, and perhaps drives their fall
flowering. Increasing xeric conditions may
also select for this group of plants.
"Perhaps, but then why did the Composites settle on yellow flowers?"
3. Shorter day lengths and solar angles may select for yellow flowers at
this time of the year.
"I can't see that this should be the case, but I can't rule it out either."
4. It could be that human disturbance has created habitats that favor
fall flowering plants, which just happen to have mostly yellow flowers.
"This is quite possible, and suggests that there may not be a dominant
color by season, but that yellow predominates now due to human influences."
5. In the fall, pollinators may be relatively scarce, and perhaps yellow
flowers do a better job at attracting them.
"One person wrote that the predominance of white flowers in the spring
does the same at that time of year. This is a very testable hypothesis."
6. Color predominance may be regional - several people pointed out that
different colors dominate in their particular area.

Howie Neufeld

Here is are the replies:
Reasons for Dominance of Yellow Flowers in the Fall

“Interesting question. I look forward to hearing what responses you get.
One possibility might be that, since hummingbirds seem to be largely
attracted to red flowers (I think), and since hummingbirds are probably
gone south by early fall, their absence might have some effect.”

“Composites (which are usually yellow flowering) tend to bloom in late
summer and fall. This may be an ancient vestige of their origination in
South America (see Bremer 1994. Asteraceae). Or it may be that
composites are often adapted to more xeric environments than the average
flowering plant. In western North America, the summer and fall are
increasingly dry for the most part.”

“Ironic that you should find yellows more common. I've wondered why
purple flowers seem to dominate in late fall in Alaska, predominantly in
alpine areas: hare bell, fireweed, several asters, lupine, monkshood,
and gentian to name a few.

Needless to say, I'd consider the pollinators and/or light spectrum at
that time of year (and at a given latitude).”

“I don't have an adaptationist explanation for you, but a phylogenetic
answer is that there are a lot of fall-flowering yellow composites
(e.g., Solidago, Pityopsis, Chrysopsis, Heterotheca, Bidens, Helianthus,
Silphium) and many of these and other Asteraceae are adapted for
disturbed or open habitats. Close relatives of these, such as Aster,
which do not produce yellow flowers, also flower in the fall.”

“I think you may have answered your own question, though I'm no expert on
this subject. Many of the fall flowers here in northern Utah are yellow
and all of the common yellow ones--sunflowers, goldenrod, and
rabbitbrush--are composites.

So there is a strong phylogenetic component combined with the tendency
of many of these composites to be very common species. Now that you've
raised the question, I wonder what the ultimate explanation (i.e., Why
yellow and not some other color?) for this pattern is?”

“An interesting question. One hypothesis suggested for abundance of
white flowers in the early spring flora is selection for a syndrome to
maximize visitation by pollinators. During the limited time frame
between thaw and canopy closure spring ephemeral flora need quick and
"loyal" pollinators. Diversity in floral displays could select
specialized plant-pollinator relationships. Could we apply this to
yellow flowers in Fall? Maybe/maybe not. The overabundance of
goldenrods, Bidens sp. etc in many habitats does present a different
scenario than the spring ephemeral flora. Though the domination in many
fields is related to human activities, land management, prior farming
etc...”

“A wild conjecture: Might it have anything to do with the effect of
daylight
length on pigments, as with the changes of leaf colour in other plants at
this time?”

“Most flower forms and colours are related to specific type of
pollinators (think about the red-poppy guild in the Middle east that
caters to large beetles as pollinators). So, my first question would be,
what are the pollinators of these plants, and are they particularly
active in fall?”

“And don't forget, what appears plain yellow to us may not appear the
same to
an insect or bird with color vision that extends outside the human range.”

“I asked my botany professor this exact same question 10 years ago. He did
not know the answer and I was too occupied with the rest of my
undergraduate
course work to delve into it myself... My thoughts are perhaps it also has
to do with the wavelengths of the spectrum and season. It may be a ltitle
farfetched, but who knows? Perhaps the yellow flowers are the ones that
benefit most from more intense or concentrated or [insert your own word
here] wavelengths of the light spectrum during the fall season. Yellow, of
course, being useless since it is the color reflected back to us.”

“I would like to add something to the "pollinator idea". For some
agricultural practices, I saw people using yellow plastic flags to
attract bugs, and they seem to work pretty well. Farmers add something
sticky to catch the bug on the flag, but I don't think this glue has a
fragrance that attracts them. Anyway, maybe yellow is a good color to
attract bugs, and this color increases the possibility of pollination
for plants with no specific pollinators. Maybe this is related to the
time of the year and bug's population dynamics too. I assume in summer
the amount of bugs in this area should be high, but decrease while
summer turns to fall. Then, if the availability of possible pollinators
is low in fall, it should be a good idea to increase the probability to
get pollinated using any bug available in the area, attracting them with
the color of petals.

But I think other questions can show up with this hypothesis.
Thanks for the questions.
It was fun to think about it!”

“In our area, depending on where you are at (I am including most of Oregon),
yellow can dominate in spring (leguminous shrubs such as Scotch brooms and
gorse) on disturbed hillsides in western Oregon, or riparian/mesic meadows
when the blues and whites of the Camass lillies give way to buttercups
(Ranunculus). Later spring into summer brings various Rosaceae species
such as Potentillas and Geums, as well as the composites in Arnica,
Balsamorhiza, Solidago, Tragopogon, and a plant I can't remember the
geneology or latin name, Nevada shooting star. Depending on where you are,
there are also a lot of legumes as Melilotus and various lupines.
Dandelions make the underside of the chin yellow from spring through
summer. In central and eastern Oregon (and I will presume through much of
the Great Basin) we are now experiencing a shrub layer making many square
miles yellow, and creating havoc for the sinuses of many of our field
workers. Rabbit Brush (Ericameria and Chrysothamnus spp.) are doing their
thing now. I don't see any other yellow flowers. However, an often
affiliated shrub (and common in the Ponderosa pine uplands), Purshia
tridentata (bitterbrush), lightens the landscape with lemon in the spring.
I just thought I'd share some examples.”

“I think the yellow flower 'dominance' may be regional. Here
in central Texas, we do have yellow flowers in the fall
(usually Guttierezia spp.), but the dominant colors are
actually white (from Euphorbia marginata or E. bicolor) or
green (Ambrosia spp.). On the other hand, in the spring,
yellows and reds dominate (from Coreopsis spp., Gaillardia
pulchella, and Ratibida columnifera).”

--
Dr. Howard S. Neufeld, Professor
Department of Biology