Greetings to all,

I'm not sure whether Paul is saying the following tongue in cheek or not, but

"I'm not so sure. Seems to me the ecological footprint of a Ph.D.
scientist or ecologist is very large.  They have high paying jobs and
because they commonly marry other professionals, they
commonly end up having $100K+ per year household incomes.
So what do they do with all that money? They consume
resources in a big fashion by having 2 kids, buying a large,
upscale home in the suburbs and buying a SUV that gets only
20-25 MPG, and buying myriads of consumer electronics and
appliances. They also use a sizable chunk of their income
to regularly shop at the giant malls and retail stores that are
consuming so much of our open space. Another sizable chunk
of their income is used for recreation; i.e. to patronize airports,
ski resorts, amusement parks, zoos, and so forth which are
also consuming our resources and open space. Still another sizable
chunk of their income goes to pay lots of government taxes
which in turn are used to build more and wider roads, expanded
water and electric services, expanded wastewater and garbage
handling facilities, expanded schools, colleges and expanded
$75,000+ a year government job career opportunities for Ph.D
scientists."

I do believe some of his statements are not necessarily true. My wife
and I are both professionals, but we barely made 85K at max salary,
live in a modest home, heated mostly by wood that I've gotten mostly
for free by scrounging along the road-sides, have a Forester SUV that
gets between 25-30 mpg, rarely go to a mall and even more rarely go to
Wal-Mart or Home Depot, support museums and zoos because they have more
return than supporting foreign invasions and minimize our taxes by
giving large charitable donations. I also usually walk to and from work
(about 8 miles roundtrip). We do travel more than most, but try to
minimize our costs and maximize our encounters with local folk so as to
increase our understanding of international affairs(this includes a
full year in China and four months in New Zealand). Maybe things are
different in California than in NH, but I do wish respondents would
watch more carefully, their global statements and not castigate all
their peers.

Larry

--
Larry T. Spencer, Professor Emeritus of Biology
Plymouth State University