Hello All,

I need another recommendation for handheld GPS mapping software and =
units.  The software is the most important aspect of my needs.  I need =
software that is current and accurate especially for trails, ranch =
roads, logging roads, dirt roads and back roads in the US.  I would like =
to be able to discern ownership of roads i.e.. public or private, as =
well.  Garmin's software data is 20 to 30 years old so they are out.  =
Magellan's detail is poor for contours but their data is current.  =
Delorme has great detail in their Gazetteer maps and their software is =
the same but their handheld is a little pricey.  Trimble is high dollar =
and Bushnell has a weird software deal that I couldn't get details on. =20

I want to be able to hook my handheld GPS unit up to my laptop in the =
truck to have GPS for my laptop while mobile and for downloading GPS =
data.  Or I can use the GPS unit as a stand alone auto GPS mounted on =
the dash in a holder.  Both Garmin and Magellan require you use their =
software for their units.  I will use the GPS and software to find my =
way on back roads, ranch roads and logging roads in my vehicle and for =
the same on foot in the field, GPS points of localities and also turn by =
turn directions and info for finding gas, food and motels.  I just =
purchased ArcGIS 9.2 so I have that.  I also don't want to have to carry =
a bunch of data cards with my GPS unit to get the map detail I need.  I =
travel all over the US.  What about color versus black & white screen?  =
Screen size?  Finally, I don't want to spend a fortune.  What do you =
guys suggest?  Any thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?  I appreciate your =
help with this and I will summarize and post the responses to the list.

Take Care,

Michael E. Welker
Herpetologist / Wildlife Scientist
3105 Eads Place