This may sound very pie-in-the-sky, but how about this proposition:

The amount of energy we should use is the amount that can be captured by =
covering every existing roof with the highest-tech energy capture device =
currently available--photovoltaics, I assume.

Surely someone has calculated how much energy this would capture, and =
how it stacks up against our current energy use? Presumably we would =
need to massively reduce energy use for this to come close to meeting =
our needs, but ultimately it would seem the moral path to head down. =
(Along with other renewables, especially wind, though I like this a lot =
better than fueling machines with photosynthate when people are =
starving)

One could also do the same over every parking lot, street, etc, although =
this would entail the energy and material cost of massive additional =
construction.

Dave Whitacre