I thought one future problem with solar cells is that they require oil
to produce.  I recently read somewhere (here?) that solar cells require
about 60 years of use before you get a return on your investment.  Maybe
with full accounting...

If it comes down to choosing between using oil for transportation as
opposed to using it to make solar cells, hospital equipment, medicines,
pesticides, fertilizers, and other tools, I'm all for the tools.

A few months back on the Common Dreams website, there was a report about
peak oil.  It quoted the former Shah of Iran who said "Oil is too
valuable to burn."

 From all I've read, though, there is no substitute as useful or
efficient as oil in transportation: gasoline, jet fuel, lubricants.

If it comes down to choosing between eating corn and using it for
transportation, I'm all for eating it.  I think China recently passed a
law to prevent ethanol from taking food out of the mouths of its people.

I told students majoring in wildlife conservation that, ideally, their
goal is to work themselves out of a job.  If they are successful, we
won't need them.  Unfortunately, if they're not successful, we won't
need them either, because I'm afraid we're running into another reality
most visible now in Africa with the bush meat as protein problem.  If it
comes down to eating it or conserving it, all of us will vote against
starvation.

CL

Cara Lin Bridgman

P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
Longjing Sinjhuang
Taichung County 434
Taiwan                http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/