The current issue of Frontiers in Ecology contains a short article "Planting
temperate forests won't temper global warming" (Vol. 5, No. 1, page 6).
This article reports on a presentation by ecologist Ken Cadeira at the
December 2006 meeting of the American Geophysical Union.  This presentation
said that temperate forest absorb enough solar radiation to nullify any
advantage from pulling C02 from the atmosphere.  Tropical forests, however,
not only pull CO2 from the atmosphere, they reflect solar radiation because
of their self-generated cloud cover.  I hope someone on this list can answer
some of my questions relating to this report:

1. Did this research consider all temperate forests, including those that
have persistent cloud cover, e.g., coastal forests in our Pacific Northwest?

2. Does this imply that we shouldn't regenerate temperate forests after tree
removal through logging or fire since this increases albedo? Should we be
converting our temperate forests to farm crops and pasture?

3. How about boreal forests?  Does this study imply that complete boreal
forest tree removal, leaving only snow as ground cover 3 to 6 months per
year, will be the best strategy for combating rising global temperatures?

3. I haven't seen the research reports this is based on, so I wonder, how
completely did this study consider the extreme complexity and variability of
temperate forest mechanisms?

4. Does this finding mean we should be planting species such as blue spruce,
white fir, white pine and white alder instead of black spruce, red fir,
black pine, black cottonwood and red alder?

Warren Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
(503)246-8613