Thereare a few aspects to this discussion which no one seems to have brought
up.  If we produce
cellulosic ethanol from switchgrass, which is a standing crop all spring and
summer, then we are
potentially providing wildlife habitat where there would otherwise be shopping
malls or monotypic
non-native crops. It is suggested that diverse prairie, with switchgrass
dominant may actually
produce more ethanol per acre than monotypic stands, so could this not be a
good thing? The
other thing no one mentions is that we can use feedlot, pig farm, poultry farm,
dairy lot, etc.
waste to fertilize, rather than using petroleum-based N. This blows Pimentel's
complaints out of
the water...I look forward to your critcism of these comments. Switchgrass
production is a
potential threat to our praries, yes, but it als has the potential of
"returning" land to prairie
production for atleast part of the year, promoting microbial, floral,and faunal
communities not
otherwise supported...