Drink coffee? Even if you don't, have you ever wondered how coffee
growing in Central America might affect birdwatching in your own
backyard in the U.S. or Canada? Do you know what folks mean when they
talk about "shade-grown" vs. "sun-grown" coffee?

Coffee--and birds and orchids and butterflies and sustainable
farming--are all covered in the 1-7 February 2007 edition of "This
Week at Hilton Pond." (The photo essay really should be called "This
Week at Finca Cristina," an environmentally friendly organic coffee
farm in Costa Rica that's doing shade-grown coffee the "right way.")

To learn more about one farm's efforts to help "our" birds as well as
their own, visit the current installment at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek070201.html . It's an essay with
LOTS of photos of Costa Rican flora, fauna, and habitats, so be
patient if it takes a while to load; if the site's busy, please
bookmark it and come back later.

Next week we'll report on our just-completed hummingbird research
expedition in another part of Costa Rica.

Happy (Tropical) Nature Watching!

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org