--- Tim Nuttle wrote:
First question:
Why is wind energy more expensive than coal energy? Is it just initial
investment in building wind farms? Is it because of archaic subsidies?

Second question:
If the money goes to investing in building new wind farms (as claimed on
NativeEnergy.com), why not just buy stock in the sustainable energy
companies instead? Or in a clean energy exchange-traded fund (ETF)? I
have an aversion to just giving for-profit companies money. It seems to
me that it would make more sense to invest in the companies, not just
give them gifts, even if the investment doesn't make a return (in which
case it would be effectively giving them a gift, I guess).
--- end of quote ---

Hi Tim,
Here's a partial answer to your second question. Most of the higher cost of
wind-generated electricity is the result of the very high capital cost versus
the imperfect nature of wind energy (i.e. highest energy generation is
frequently fall and spring, with winter and summer being highest loads; not to
mention that no energy is generated when the wind isn't blowing). As a result,
the logic of giving money to a wind company is that you are helping to provide
them with the money for the capital cost so more wind farms can be built.
As for why you shouldn't just buy their stock, my best guess is that in the
wold of energy production (as heavily subsidized and necessarily monopolistic)
investing in a company that is trying to get by by selling a product that costs
more yet is exactly identical to electricity generated by a coal plant is poor
investing strategy.
With offsets, the Wind Company is trying to create a population of consumers
who believe that electricity from wind is different than electricity from coal.
That is, make sustainably produced energy a luxury good which those consumers
are willing to pay more for for the added benefitts (real or perceived) of less
coal and more wind.
I do not think that it is viable in the long run to fool people into thinking
that electricity is different so they should pay more for one kind than
another. So I would advocate for massive incentives to encourage/force clean
energy use (e.g. a high carbon tax).
Hope you enjoy!

~Chris Farmer