I think that what ESA might be pointing out is that these human
dominated landscapes are dependent on EF, for example to maintain
soil quality, pollination, pest control etc..

I recommend Tscharntke et al. 2005. Landscape perspective on
agricultural intensification and biodiversity - ecosystem service
management. Ecology Letters 8:857-874

Cheers,
Fabrice

On Feb 27, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Wayne Tyson wrote:

> At 07:52 AM 2/24/2007, David Inouye wrote:
>> The Ecological Society has a variety of fact sheets about ecological
>> issues, including ecosystem services:
>> http://esa.org/teaching_learning/factsheets.php
>

> ESA has done an excellent job with this, particularly laudable for
> its brevity.  However, I couldn't help but notice an agricultural
> monoculture in one of the photographs.
>
> Perhaps I am out of step, but I have long drawn what I consider a
> crucial distinction between agriculture and horticulture
> ("domestication" of other life-forms), which require human
> intervention for support, and ecosystems, which do not.
>
> Would it be useful to include such a distinction?  Or is the
> distinction invalid?
>
> WT

Fabrice De Clerck PhD

Landscape Ecologist/Ecologo de Paisaje
    Dept. Agricultura y Agroforesteria
    CATIE 7170, Turrialba, Costa Rica
  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Phone: (506) 558-2596
  Fax: (506) 558-2046
  Web: www.catie.ac.cr

Adjunct Associate
    Tropical Agriculture Program
    The Earth Institute at Columbia University
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype: fadeclerck
Web:www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/mvp/
"Everything not given is lost"