I believe it was David Ehrenfeld who wrote and essay - "Why put value on
biodiversity" and the gist is that if we put monetary value on things, that
value will fluctuate with the market and economics.  Thus, no permanence in
conservation (well, relative permanence - there is no permanence in a
changing universe).  So, we need to get away from "value" and just conserve=
.

Jim

On 3/22/07, Wendee Holtcamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking about this, and in my opinion, the "things" we all want to
> "save" (polar bears, rainforest, amphibians etc) are all on a marketplace
> so
> to speak, and are in competition with one another as to what gets the mos=
> attention.
>
> We may "pay more" as a society to save cute cuddly polar bears than they
> are
> "worth" in the grand scheme of relative importance of things, because
> without a doubt even people who are not environmentalists per se love
> wildlife and animals (I think there are some studies on this - I know one
> mag, I think Smithsonian, said their sales go way up when they put a cute
> animal on the cover). Every organization out there has to compete for
> money
> and the public's attention. Right now global warming has (finally) gotten
> the attention it deserves in the mainstream. It's reached the tipping
> point
> in terms of attention and people are paying attention who could dismiss i=
> before.
>
> The question is, how do "We Who Care About the Environment" make sure tha=
> our societal group effort and money is expended on the decisions that wil=
> TRULY make the most difference in terms of turning the planet into a plac=
> we truly want for future generations. First we have to know which
> decisions
> are the most important (why I like that book about Effective Consumer
> Choices), then we have to know how to harness that energy and effort to
> educating others about the relative importance of those things so everyon=
> is not just going in a million directions. This is where solid leadership
> comes in.
>
> When I say wildlife are of less relative importance, I mean each
> individual
> species "Save the whales" type thing. This has shifted to "save
> ecosystems"
> over the past 30 years I think, and I also want to add that wildlife can
> be
> an entry-drug (so to speak) to those less ecologically/environmentally
> minded, and so their importance in the "economics" of ideas may be worth
> more than ecologically each individual species may be.
>
> Anyway just some thoughts.
> Wendee
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology
>         Freelance Writer-Photographer
>        http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com
>          Bohemian Adventures Blog
>
> http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                       CRIKEY!

--=20
James J. Roper
Depto Zoologia,UFPR
Caixa Postal 19034
81531-990 Curitiba, Paran=E1, Brasil
=3D=3D
E-mail:                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone/Fone/Tel=E9fono:        55 41 33611764
celular:                               55 41 99870543
Casa:                                 55 41 33857249
=3D=3D=3D
http://jjroper.googlepages.com/

Ecologia e Conserva=E7=E3o na UFPR
http://www.bio.ufpr.br/ecologia/