stan moore wrote:

> How much additional wildland will be put into grain production,
> at the cost of habitat for wild flora and fauna?  How many
> forests will be cut down? How sustainable can this transition be?

In the upper Midwest USA, according to some agricultural economists
at Iowa State University, "the most likely source of new corn
acreage will come from shifts in crop rotation from soybeans to corn."
http://www.card.iastate.edu/iowa_ag_review/fall_06/article2.aspx
http://www.card.iastate.edu/iowa_ag_review/fall_06/article3.aspx

Example: instead of a traditional corn/soybean/corn/ annual
crop rotation schedule, Midwestern farmers could implement a
corn/corn/ soybean rotation schedule.  I've seen evidence of this
already happening :

2006 photo of corn fields on both sides of a farm road in
southwestern Minnesota:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/mori06.jpg

2005 photo of the same exact farm road where you can see
(left side of photo) corn was growing on the same piece of
ground where it had been growing in 2006:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/mor05.jpg

Another source of additional corn could come from the continually
increasing yields that GMO biotech corn has been generating
(e.g Roundup Ready Bt corn
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/rr.jpg).

Here's a graph of Iowa corn yields per planted acre over the
1980 to 2005 crop years and you can see how yields rose
especially fast after the introduction of GMO crops in 1996
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/corngra.jpg

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.