From: Andrew Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:05:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Equilibrium/Steady State and Complexity/Evolution

Re: economic growth versus steady state,

There is a big problem with getting from where we are (catastrophic
EXPONENTIAL economic growth) to where some of us would like to be
(Steady state, dynamic flux around some mean value, call it what you
will).

The problem is that there is nobody anywhere in the world who can
envision a practical, politically feasible, and equitable version of
where we want to be.  I have read Daly and others on this subject, adn
their major weakness always revolves around the policies that will
give us steady state.

Its not their fault though.  The problem is that we all have a vested
interest in seeing growth continue.  Yes folks, growth is not just a
sop for politicians and the opiate of uber capitalists.  Surpluses
generated by growth are what pays for roads, social services, and
other infrastructure of civilization.  Growht is what pays for your
pension (if you have one) and it provides dividends on your
investments so that you can retire.  Growht is what pays for foreign
aid, even though that is only a pitifully small part of our bloated
GDPs.

And of course the alternative to growth is stagnation courtesy of the
multiplier effect.  Loosely speaking (economists, please correct me),
due to the fact that money circulates in the economy, an additional
dollar of investment translates into several additional dollars of
consumer and other spending.  Thus the net effect of spending an
additional dollar is disproportionately translated through the economy
(positive feedback?).

Unfortunately, it can work in reverse.  If you choose not to buy that
one dollar pack of gum (or that shiny new SUV or a cell phone or a
second helping of dessert for that matter), the effect of money
withdrawn from the economy can ripple through it, reducing aggregate
demand disproportionately to the original withdrawal.  A positive
feedback with very negative consequences :(

So how do we get off this treadmill.  Beats me......

Andy