Like many locales in the Carolinas, Hilton Pond Center awoke to a
very hard freeze on Easter morning, which caused environmental
problems we first detected with our sense of smell.

The newspapers have been full of articles about how the cold will
hurt this year's peach harvest, but what about damage to trees
themselves? Many tender new leaves were killed by cold, which
undoubtedly will have lasting impact on woody plants--to say nothing
of caterpillars that would have eaten those leaves AND hungry birds
that will be looking for caterpillars as they pass through in
migration. And what about all this dead foliage on Trumpet Creeper?
Will the plants still be able to make nectar-laden blossoms that
attract hummingbirds?

Our sense of smell and how it's related to the potential long-term
devastation wrought by a late cold snap is the topic for our 1-9
April 2007 "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay, accessible at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek070401.html

As always we include a tally of birds banded, a list of recaptures
(of which there were several old-timers), and miscellaneous nature
notes.

Happy (Warmer-weather) Nature Watching!

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org