Dear Ophelia

Random sampling is extremely easy to do in SAS.  Just visit

 http://support.sas.com/techsup/sample/random.html

Just copy the fully commented code and paste it into your program.

There, you will find the code to do:

1) simple random sampling (with or without replacement)

and

2) many varieties of stratified random sampling (e.g. with and without
replacement, equal allocation, unequal allocation...)

You will also find SAS code to directly perform bootstrapping,
crossvalidation, and jackknifing for every statistic that you could
calculate in SAS (which is darn near everything in the statistical
realm...).

For lots of SAS code to do a huge variety of things, visit www.sas.com
then select Tech support, then just type in a few search words for what
you are trying to do (e.g. " Akaike's Information Criterion" or
"Schwarz's Bayesian Criterion" ).  You will be hard pressed to NOT find
the code to do what you need to do!

It is hard to match SAS for the sort of thing you ask about...

John P. Ball

> Date:    Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:49:37 -0500
> From:    Ophelia Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Question about random sampling
>
> Hi,
>    I have a data set that has about 15,000 data points (rows) that
document
> values of 15 variables (columns). Now I'd like to perform a random
sampling
> process (run 10,000 times) to randomly select 470 points and get the
mean
> values of my 15 variables (columns) out of these 470 points after the
10,000
> times of random sampling. Can anyone tell me how to write a script in
SAS,