Wayne,

The questions I have reflected on and can comment on are the last three:
The distinction between functions and services I thought has always
been an human based distinction where services are those functions
that have important human values. Don't ask me though to then list
those that are functions and those that are services.
For question number 5 in my biodiversity is the provider of functions.
For six, absolutely it is more than numbers, composition plays a huge
role, and the functional ecologist, would argue that the traits of
the species present in a community or ecosystem are important. We
also have plenty of evidence that for particular function, one
species can indeed bet better than many, at least over the short
term, which also answers number 7, the numbers, or identities must be
able to change over time, which is in large part the foundation of
the diversity stability debate.

Cheers,
Fabrice