Hi ECOLOG'ers and NEOORN'ers,

=20

Apologies for cross-posting!

=20

I have a question regarding USDA-APHIS import permit requirements.  I
will be collecting leaf-litter arthropods (spiders, beetles, ants,
millipedes, etc.) in Costa Rica and need to bring preserved (in 70%
ethanol) specimens back to the States.  I've checked the USDA's website
and have contacted numerous people in numerous offices and still haven't
yet been able to determine whether or not arthropods count as an
"animal" under their definitions. =20

=20

Does anyone out there have experience with bringing preserved arthropods
back from Central America?  I also have heard that there are strict
restrictions on the amounts of ethanol in checked bags, but haven't yet
been able to find out what those restrictions are.

=20

Thanks for your assistance!

=20

Cheers,

Nicole Michel

=20

=20

=20

Nicole Michel
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
310 Dinwiddie Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118

=20