ECOLOG,

=20

Last week I posted a question regarding necessary USDA/APHIS and USFWS
permits for importing preserved arthropods from Costa Rica.  I received
many prompt and helpful replies - thanks to all of you!  Here is a
compiled summary of what I found out.  The bottom line:=20

1) You do NOT need an APHIS permit for dead, preserved specimens (with a
few exceptions, e.g., Apoideae, see below) =20

2) You DO need to fill out a USFWS Form 3-177 within 180 days of arrival
within the States, and it's not a bad idea to have a printed copy on
hand when you go through customs =20

3) 70% ethanol is not allowed on planes, but you can use alternate
preservation methods (diluting ethanol to 20% w/ water for the duration
of the trip, freezing and transporting in plastic containers w/
mothballs) or ship by express carrier (but see their dangerous goods
exceptions).

4) You may need to sterilize soil arthropods for soil microbes (perhaps
this was an exception for this one case? See below)

5) You also need export permits from the countries you're working in
(FYI: OTS is very helpful in obtaining export permits for work in Costa
Rica).

=20

I've highlighted important points in bold.  I hope this is helpful.

=20

Cheers,

Nicole Michel

=20

=20

=20

First of all for Costa Rica you need to have official Collecting and
Export permits (separate permits) from their government in order to
bring the specimens legally into the USA.  Within 180 days you must file
a 3-177 Declaration with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service at your port
of entry.

=20

According to International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations
you cannot bring 70% ethanol on board airplanes.  The best thing to do
is to drain off the ethanol just before returning and use some other
non-hazardous/non-dangerous fluid like propylene glycol (OK for DNA
work), glycerin, etc.  The other option is to have them shipped in
ethanol by a trained/qualified person at an institution using proper
packaging, sealing the separate containers (not over 30ml each), and not
over 0.5 liters per package, properly labeled with a red/white Dangerous
Goods label, etc., i.e., also following IATA regulations.

=20

APHIS permitting is primarily for importation of live specimens.  When
you enter the USA the US Customs Declaration will ask about products you
are importing and you should check the box that says "..... wildlife
products."  Then CBP (US Customs) may divert you to USDA/APHIS/Homeland
Security for further questions and inspection.  Someone may also ask you
for copies of your permits and even the 3-177 Declaration, even though
you really do not have to file it then, so get one on line from
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/faqs.htm=20

=20

I hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to send this to the ESA
listserve, if you think it will be helpful.

=20

=20

=20

   USFWS requires that you fill out Form 3-177.  They're just making
sure that you aren't bringing in endangered species.  I BELIEVE that it
can be done after the fact (within 180 days or so from the time that you
get back) but you'll need to check their most recent instructions.
Here's a link to the form and instructions:
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/faqs.htm=20
     If the specimens dead and preserved no APHIS permit is required.  =20
     As far as dead bees go (anything in the Apoidea), we do have
notification and declaration requirements.  Here's the link to the Bee
regulations:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=3Decfr&sid=3D149724f9e959=
5c2
e6d8827f049a03004&rgn=3Ddiv5&view=3Dtext&node=3D7:5.1.1.1.7&idno=3D7=20
The relevant section starts at 7 CFR 322.29.  In a nutshell, it says
that, for preserved bees, we need to be notified and that you have to
let the border inspectors look things over. =20

=20

=20

In our class we have brought back a few liter bottles of preserved
arthropods and have had no trouble at all especially if they were
preserved.  They didn't even flinch at least so far.  We have bought
back frozen insects that were in Tupperware containers with mothballs.

In 6 years we have never had a hard time since they are in ethanol.  We
were even able to bring back pressed leaf samples and had no US permits
but had to have both collecting and export permits from Costa Rica.  The
ethanol question will have to be directed at the airlines.  Last year we
preserved them in ethanol and then emptied the ethanol and added 40%
ethanol or so that was not flammable to keep them moist and then added
75% back when we arrived home and they were fine.  The other option
would be to ship them from San Jose to the US but the mail there is VERY
SLOW in my experience.

=20

One note is to have all the material in one box, with a manifest or
packing slip with a description of all of the materials in it.  We take
classes of 6 - 24 students and have about 14 large shipping boxes and
with the manifest we have had minimal problems.

=20

=20

I commonly bring preserved insect specimens back from China, and our
group also brings back such specimens from Europe and Africa as well. By
way of this email, I am requesting my colleagues to comment on your
question.=20

I can tell you, with respect to China, that in recent years I commonly
empty out the majority of the ethanol immediately prior to my return
flight and then refill the vials immediately upon arrival back in the
states.

I also commonly ship the specimens via DHL or another express carrier,
and in this case, I have a form letter from APHIS and US Fish and
Wildlife attached.=20

=20

=20

Incase you haven't had a bunch of responses already, I'll give you my
dated experiences. I brought back several vials of ethanol-preserved
antlion larvae from Costa Rica in 2001, along with pinned adults. The
APHIS inspector at the airport (New York, JFK) asked 1) the % of ethanol
they were preserved in and the length of time they'd been preserved, 2)
to see the pinned adults, ask how they'd been killed (freezing); time
periods at different temperatures, time on pins, etc.

In general, since they were obviously dead, not pests, and not
endangered, he was not concerned; though he did ask me to contact USFWS
when I got home to make sure they were as unconcerned as he was (they
were).

=20

A couple of months later I was planning to bring insects back from a
trip to Pakistan, so I called the APHIS and FWS agents at JFK and gave
them a heads-up that I would be coming through; they seemed appreciative
of the call, but once again unconcerned. It seems like it was pretty
easy to get their number and they returned my calls, so you might try
that just to put your mind at rest.

=20

The inspectors at airports are now in the Dept of Homeland Security
chain of command, rather than the USDA-APHIS chain of command. That
might change in the near future. However, my impression is that unless
your arthropods are terrorists, you should be fine. It might be a good
idea to make sure you have copies of print-outs, correspondence with
USDA or a letter with your university letter head explaining how
important the specimens are to your research, preferably signed by
someone other than yourself.

=20

Ethanol in checked luggage isn't something I can help with. Except that
everyone else on the plane will have a couple of liters of rum in
theirs.

=20

And presumably you're aware that you need crazy amounts of paperwork to
get the specimens out of Costa Rica?

=20

In my experience coming from the Caribbean, it varies widely and every
trip is something new.=20

=20

Coming from a foreign country, you definitely need your permits.

=20

In theory, 70% ethanol should be allowed because it is the equivalent to
bringing a bottle of rum on the plane. However, I have been stopped. I
now drain off all the alcohol and add enough water to effectively dilute
the alcohol below 20%. As soon as I arrive, I go straight to my lab and
decant the water and add ethanol. This seems to work without damaging
the specimens.

=20

Because everything is dead and has been preserved, APHIS should have no
objections.=20

=20

I have inquired about this to Homeland Security and TSA and they will
tell you that there are no hard and fast rules(beyond the prohibition of
flammables). TSA and the FAA told me that it is up to the discretion of
the baggage screener as to whether something is allowable. One would
hope for more standardization, but...

=20

However you end up going, pack everything in plastic. I have found
sentrifuge tubes to be very leakproof. I also bag these in at least two
layers of ziplocs and have never had anything leak out and I have been
doing this 8 years at 4-5 times per year.

=20

I'm Canadian but have had some experience deal with APHIS and
transporting specimens on planes.

A quick google on the search terms "aphis import permit arthropods"
brought this up (3rd question)=20

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/faq/insects_faqs.shtml

However you more than likely will be subject to US Fish and Wildlife
inspection, especially if there is a chance that anything you are
bringing back is subject to CITIES rules. You should also be aware that
you may need a permit to collect and possibly a permit to export from
Costa Rica, some central and south american countries are very strict
about this. =20

The restrictions on carrying ethonol are pretty strict, anything more
than a few vials carried on your person and you risk having it
confiscated and I doubt any airline will accept in checked baggage.  You
might consider freezing your samples for the trip and pack them in a
cooler with ice packs (airlines will accept this method - just prepare
to have it inspected).  If not I'd look at sending the specimens via
courier (DHL, FedEx), just make sure you look into their dangerous goods
handling rules, usually it costs a extra and requires you to arrange the
shipment ahead of time.

=20

=20

=20

I have only dealt with the outside.  But I had a friend who was going to
bring back some soil springtails for me from Russia.  Since they come
out of the dirt, you also have to sterilize your samples for soil
microbes (like hoof and mouth disease).  Needless to say, the
restrictions were too great and he didn't bring any samples back.

=20

=20

=20

Nicole Michel
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
310 Dinwiddie Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118

=20