Communicating Science to the Public: The Where, Why, and How of Engaging
Non-Scientists
Workshop
Sunday, August 5, 8am-5pm
ESA Annual Meeting in San Jose

Registration is only $15 - pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
Registration fee includes workshop materials, and two coffee breaks with snacks
You can register for the workshop (WK 7) when you register for the ESA
Annual Meeting online at http://www.esa.org/sanjose/
Please note: Early Bird registration ends soon!  Conference registration
fees increase after June 14 (workshop fee stays the same).

Nearly everyone agrees that scientists have a responsibility to communicate
their research findings to the public, especially if that research is funded
by government agencies or has public policy or human health implications.
Few would disagree that ecologists should also have an interest in raising
general ecological awareness and interest.

As researchers, we can play a critical role in facilitating public
understanding of ecological issues and in increasing scientific literacy in
our own communities and beyond. However, we can only do these things if we
know how to identify avenues of communication and how to effectively engage
our audiences. Unfortunately, instruction in how to communicate science to
non-scientists is not part of most graduate programs.

This one-day workshop will introduce the skills necessary for successfully
communicating science to the public and how to identify avenues of
communication, both traditional and non-traditional.

We will discuss how to communicate with a variety of groups, including local
organizations and school groups, print and broadcast media, and policy
makers. We will also discuss other outlets for getting your message across,
including websites, books, and non-scientific magazines.

While this workshop will stand alone as an introduction to communicating
science to the public, it is intended to compliment other communication
workshops organized by the Aldo Leopold Leadership Program and the ESA
Public Affairs Office that are being offered later in the week.

More information, including a speaker list and topics to be covered can be
found at http://rydberg.biology.colostate.edu/communicating_science/

Liz Harp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Graduate Degree Program in Ecology