If I understood correctly, I wouldn`t use parametric
tests, it would seem that they are not spacially
independent.

One way would be to model it thru geostatistical
analyses, the other is to use a gradient analyses
procedure, such as CANOCO and have either an artifical
variable composed of altitud + hydrological position
or a subjective dummy such as a 4 value, position on
the landscape, the "field book forf describing and
sampling soils" (it`s on the web somewhere), has a 5
value hillslope definition: summit, shoulder,
backslope, footslope and toeslope.

Hope it helps,

--- Alexandre Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
>      I am dealing with a particular relativization
> issue in a microhabitat analysis and would like to
> hear your opinion about it, would it be possible?
>
>      Here follows a resume:
>
> Hypothesis:
>
> The Southern dominant conifer Araucaria angustifolia
> occurs more often than not on higher
> microtopographic sites, and avoids the lower ones.

> XY positions of 600 young individuals in 10 separate
> plots. Each plot has 1 ha (100 m x 100 m) and is
> subdivided in 100 10 x 10 m subplots. The area is a
> mountainous terrain at ca. 850 m elevation.
>
> Altitude has been measured on the corners of each
> subplot, and at the locations of each individual.
>
> Analysis:
>
> Simply, the comparison of the background altitude
> distribution of the subplot corners with the
> individuals altitude distribution, through a
> Kolmogorov-Smirnov test.
>
> The expectation is that the distribution of
> individuals will be different from that of the local
> microtopography because they lack individuals at the
> lower altitudes
>
> The focus is not at the altitude in itself, but in
> the lower parts of the plots, which correspond to
> local depressions, which are more humid.
>
> Problem:
>
> Each one of the 10 areas is located at a distinct
> altitude. Although these are not too much different
> (amplitude ~100 m), it precludes me to pool the
> altitude data of the areas, that form multimodal
> distributions.
>
> My Current Doubt:
>
> I am thinking of considering the relative altitude
> of each corner and each individual, instead of the
> real altitude. This relativization would be carried
> out by transforming each altitude datum in its
> relative "distance" from the average altitude of its
> plot (xi - averageX).
>
> I guess this would allow me to pool all altitude
> measures and focus on what is the question of the
> research.
>
> What do you think? Should I standardize the data,
> dividing the relativized measures by the standard
> deviation? Why?
>
> Any thoughts are well come.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>    Alexandre
>
> Dr. Alexandre F. Souza
> Programa de Pós-Graduação em Biologia: Diversidade e
> Manejo da Vida Silvestre
> Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos (UNISINOS)
> Av. UNISINOS 950 - C.P. 275, São Leopoldo 93022-000,
> RS  - Brasil
> Telefone: (051)3590-8477 ramal 1263
> Skype: alexfadigas
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.unisinos.br/laboratorios/lecopop
>
> --
> Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de
> antivírus e
>  acredita-se estar livre de perigo.

Abraham de Alba Avila
  Terrestrial Plant Ecology
  INIFAP-Ags
  Ap. postal 20,
  Pabellón Arteaga, 20660
  Aguascalientes, MEXICO

   Tel: (465) 95-801-67, & 801-86 ext. 118, FAX ext 102
alternate: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cel: 449-157-7070

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.