Hon. (Wow!) Mathecologist Silvert and Forum:

If "we" can prune pride from the bush somehow, we need have no fear
of brainstorming, provided we are prepared to resist the temptation
to mount the bandwagon du jour and take a hard look at the actual as
opposed to only the "virtual" outcome.  Even though I am suspicious
of biocalculus (not knowing s--t about it, I'm hardly in a position
to be critical), I'm even more suspicious of bandwagons.  Actually,
I'm a closet fan of outliers, of insignificance.  When the context
shifts, they're ready to go!  But then, I think I got at least two or
three "D's" in statistics--from pitying and charitable professors.  I
trust that all cockamamie ideas, whilst they may enjoy a fan-tastic
reign of terror for a time, will eventually reach the end of their
battleship curves, and self-terminate.  This may be the price to pay
for the eventual triumph for the toilers in the fields or, perhaps
more accurately, those who leap from rock to hard place with little
regard for their citation indices.

I am most interested in learning as much as my limited "command" of
arithmetic will allow (2+2 is quite a challenge) about the Laws of
Ecosystems, and if I have to put on a hair shirt and try to
understand fixed-point trajectories and bifurcation theory,
particularly if they will lead to Great Insights into ecosystem
function, I may venture from the precipice after all.  As long as
computer simulations predict actual phenomena rather than simply
confirm the assumptions that went into them, I'll be converted to a
Great Fan of those too.  And Catastrophe sounds like a theory I could
warm up to.

It would be a bit too risky for me alone to suggest that, while
bifurcations go all the way down and up, that theories do not drive
phenomena like speciation, but could be reasonable representations of
what happens when speciation occurs, rather than being the
"mechanism" itself.  Perhaps I draw too ridiculous a dichotomy.

I might venture into deeper water on the matter of fishy theories of
population dynamics--lordy be, I'm in hot enough water as it is, and
I've already hogged enough posting space.  But I'm willing to be
recruited--as long as I don't have to go too far beyond the jiggling
and fuzzy "bounds" of my environmental gradient diagram.  And my own
tangents (no geometry implied) are beginning to stick to my
boots.  I've just had a pint, so that's my excuse.

Y'all's Ob't. Sv't. from outlier-land,
WT