hello, wrapping parafilm several times around the stem has worked for me for
really thin stems, or even blades of bamboo leaves. If you don't have parafilm,
maybe you can use regular scotch tape, or any rubbery/plastic stuff that can
increase the diameter of the stem while also allowing some compression fitting
to the hole.