I got the impression from Wayne's post that he was not discouraging physical
attendance at meetings, but rather that he was encouraging the use of other
methods of participation.  I have neither the time nor the money to "travel
extensively, jetting about" to and from meetings and conferences and
gatherings.  I must pick and choose, carpool when I can, and (MUCH more often)
seek out conference calls, on-line courses and meetings, and notes and
presentations posted online after said conference or symposium.  I have taught
myself perseverance in researching and have gained the self-confidence to
realize my questions are pertient and valid.

  Another important tool I use is e-mail -- I seek out the researcher or
presenter, find their e-mail address, and ask them questions, sparking
conversations and discussions, getting answers and furthering my understanding.
 I am a full-time college student, mother of two, full-time secretary, and
part-time voluntary director of a community-based watershed team in Vermont, so
my time is limited as is my budget.  I think it is extremely important for me
to "meet" colleagues any way I can, and e-mail is a fantastic "first contact"
method.

  So Wayne is not recommeding skipping meetings or discussion-time, he is
promoting finding alternative avenues of interacting as a means of time and
fuel economy.  Or at least, that is what I am understanding from his comments.

  Sincerely,
  Kelly Stettner, Director
  Black River Action Team
  Springfield, VT
  www.blackriveractionteam.org

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.