To avoid apparent conflict of interest, I disclose that I worked for a
railroad for a 27 years. However, the question of passenger service
quality has to do with money, or lack thereof.   We, in the US, choose
not to invest in the rail infrastructure necessary to provide a pleasant
passenger train experience. We insist that passenger service mix with
freight service, with a few exceptions. Then we try to squeeze out every
last maintenance dollar.  We also have some geographical issues,
especially in the West, with long distances between major cities, that
increase costs.  Perhaps the statement is apocryphal, but we used to say
that Amtrak could save money by giving every rail passenger a free
Greyhound bus ticket, instead of running trains. Yes, I've ridden trains
in Europe, including commuter trains in the Netherlands, and the Madrid
Metro, Talgo, Altaria, and AVE trains in Spain.  They're wonderful,
especially the AVE.  However, the Spanish have made a tremendous
investment in infrastructure for the AVE (it has its own tracks) and the
fare is still high. The cheapest fare on the AVE is about $200 from
Madrid to Sevilla, roundtrip. You can fly for $226, roundtrip.    If we
really wanted good passenger service, we would invest in the
infrastructure, pay good management salaries, pay for the maintenance,
and be willing to pay higher fares.

Sorry, I got no rant control ...

Tom
--