Staying alive today trumps all other concerns, in most cases.  To that extent,
a bias toward short-term thinking is both normal and natural.  The important
point is that, while an excessive present-orientedness can jeopardize our long
term prospects, short term thinking is not aberrant thinking.  This matters
because it implies that we can never rest in our efforts to push folks to see
the follies of an excessive present-orientedness.  Its a problem that we should
not expect to see "solved", but rather should see as perpetual.

This is why ecologists are precious to society--there is a genuine value to
thinking ecologically (paying attention to context and to consequence).  And
people who are good at thinking ecologically will be necessary to each
generation.  Throughout time.  This is one of those phenomena that we will
never "solve", but rather are constrained to engage on an on-going basis.  If
we do evolve to be superior creatures, it will be millennia from now.

All this is in response to Bill's lament about the lack of a "solution to the
problem of getting society to balance short-term benefits against long-term
consequences."  The reason we had to invent adaptive management is because
there is genuinely a class of problems that will never be "solved" but which
must continuously be engaged.  (See, for instance, Rittel and Webber on "wicked
problems"
<http://www.csun.edu/~vasishth/Rittel+Dilemmas+General_Theory_of_Planning.pdf>.)

People that propagate the use of DDT fall into two categories, it seems to me.
There are those who are guilty of making incomplete descriptions, and there are
those who are ideologically opposed to the regulatory framework that emerged
out of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring.  The former are, I suspect, blinkered by
the manifest urgency of saving human lives that are being needlessly lost, and
genuinely fail to see the long-term consequences of a renewed use of DDT.  The
latter group, however, is likely not open to persuasion.  The best we can do is
to act as a counter-weight in an effort to balance the whole.  That's the price
for having learned to think ecologically.

Cheers,
-
  Ashwani
     Vasishth            [EMAIL PROTECTED]          (818) 677-6137
                    http://www.csun.edu/~vasishth/
            http://www.myspace.com/ashwanivasishth