Hello Ecolog,

The Northeast Temperate Network of the National Park Service Inventory
and Monitoring program is hiring a biologist / data manager to be based
in Woodstock, Vermont.  This is a permanent, full-time position with
full performance at the GS-11 level.  The full announcement is posted on
www.usajobs.gov.  There are two announcements; search for "GATE-07-041
DEU" for the all-sources announcement.  Individuals who are eligible for
merit promotion, reinstatement, or non-competitive appointment can apply
to "GATE-07-067".  Applications MUST be received by NPS human resources
by Tuesday, September 18, 2007.

The incumbent serves as a Data and Information Manager for the Northeast
Temperate Network (NETN) of the Inventory and Monitoring (I&M) Program.
Each network is undertaking development and implementation of systematic
biological inventories and long-term vital signs monitoring.  The
success of the network I&M program is dependent on a well designed and
maintained data management system which is easily accessible to all
parks and is relevant to park biological resource information needs.
The incumbent is responsible for the design, development, coordination
and administration of data management programs developed for use by the
I&M program.  The incumbent applies knowledge of programming, data
management, database applications, GIS, network priorities, and national
I&M guidelines and directives, to plan, develop, and support application
programs and systems to meet network I&M needs.  The NETN data manager
may manage some network monitoring programs that are within his or her
field of biological expertise.  The NETN data manager should have strong
database development skills; GIS skills are valuable but not as essential.

AREA / PARK INFORMATION:  The Northeast Temperate Network is
headquartered at Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, in
the year-round resort community of Woodstock, Vermont.  This is an area
of great natural beauty alongside the Ottauquechee River in the
foothills of the Green Mountains.  The park opened for the first time to
visitors in 1998 and is the first unit of the National Park System to
focus on the theme of conservation history and the changing nature of
land stewardship in America.  The park includes a 500-acre forest
property on the slopes of Mount Tom where hiking, nature study, and
cross-country skiing are popular with visitors.  The climate is moderate
in spring, summer and fall seasons; winters may be harsh.  A variety of
local restaurants and groceries are located in the village of Woodstock
and within a few miles radius of the park.

Brian R. Mitchell
NETN Program Manager