Thanks Katrina.  It looks good, but from the website, I can't exactly
tell how simple or complicated it is.  What I mean by "simple" is
that it sticks to factors that can be reasonably correlated with each
other, such as the increase in atmospheric oxygen around the rise of
cyanobacteria, and, for example, if there are any spikes in oxygen or
other factors (anaerobic life forms?) before the paleontological
record.  I'm trying to look at all indicators for the initial
presence of life on earth including those which might be considered
conjectural (e.g. a spike in O2 before the paleontological evidence,
etc.).  I was trying to draw this on a restaurant tablecloth the
other night, and I wondered, "Why the hell should I bother if someone
else has done it?"

To put it another way, what are the earliest indications of life of
earth, and what is the evidence for the conclusion?  Also, what is
the status of the current debate(s) over both, and what are the
positions of the scientific establishment and contrary claims--and
how long have any such debates been going on?  The latest discussions
I have turned up on this subject seem to have occurred at about the
turn of the last millennium, and I would like to get up to
date.  Some sources put it at 2700 Ma, others a billion years later,
and others (dare I admit I looked at Wikipedia?) just say "Archean,"
which could push it back even farther.**  Do I hear 544 Ma?  2700
Ma?  Who'll give me more?  References?  I also wonder how much
different relevant disciplines (paleobiologists, geologists,
geochemists, microbiologists, paleoclimatologists, etc.) have been
discussing this with each other.

WT

*  Knoll, Andrew H.  A New Molecular Window on Early Life. Volume
285, Number 5430 Issue of 13 Aug 1999, pp. 1025 - 1026,1999, Science.
http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Evolution/a_new_molecular_window_on_early_.htm#note14#note14
** Stanley, Steven M. Earth System History. New York: W.H. Freeman
and Company, 1999.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0716728826>ISBN

0-7167-2882-6 p. 297-301 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archean