I'm looking for advice on buying a metal detector to relocate permanent
sampling plot markers.  There are two situations where we expect to use
it:  (1) metal (steel?) bolts installed on riverside rock outcrops that get
buried in sediment and vegetation (no more than an inch deep), and (2)
magnetized nails pushed into forest loam (deciduous second-growth forests)
as a backup to flagging.

Desirable features include portability, durability, and ease of use in
locations with uneven surfaces and tall, thick herbaceous vegetation.  And
fair precision:  we can get within a meter or two without the detector,
then need to exactly relocate the marker.

I'd appreciate hearing from people with practical experience indicating
what models might work well (or not).  I'll compile and post the responses
I recieve.  Thank you for your assistance.

- Sara Cairns

  NH Natural Heritage Bureau
  DRED - Forest & Lands
  PO Box 1856