Miller is a good text and I have used it before.

Additionally, many community colleges ARE offering ecology and environmental
science since 1) it is required for many education majors in addition to
current teachers that are seeking re-certification (many states require an
environmental science class) and 2) ecology and environmental science are
two of a handful of courses that people who "don't like science" will
actually take and will actually get them EXCITED and EDUCATED about science.

And that is also why it is offered at some high schools. At some schools it
is offered as an advanced class for those that are looking to get a head
start in college. For others, the students have not done well in science and
would probably not take a science class at all. But if there are more
attractive sounding options such as ecology or environmental science, then
they would take these classes and they would at least get some science that
they wouldn't have otherwise considered. It can increase their scientific
literacy - so why is that a bad idea?

Penny Rodrick-Williams
Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
University of Delaware
253 Townsend Hall
Newark, DE 19716
302-831-1507