Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for a Research Associate post-
doc position with Prof. Don Waller in the Department of Botany at the
University of Wisconsin – Madison. This position (supported by NSF’s
Ecology program) will provide an exciting work environment and exceptional
training opportunity.

Project: Our group is evaluating patterns of long-term ecological change
in Wisconsin forest plant communities. Our primary goals are to determine
how ecological conditions interact with species characteristics to affect
community dynamics. We are particularly interested in learning how site
and landscape conditions interact with plant functional traits to
determine stochastic patterns of species persistence, colonization, and
local extinction. The work is supported by an NSF grant entitled: “A
functional approach to analyzing long-term change in plant communities”

Further details about the project can be found under “Grant Proposals” at:
http://idisk.mac.com/donwaller-Public
For further information about activities of the Waller Lab and reprints of
recent work, see: http://www.botany.wisc.edu/waller/

Qualifications & Skills sought:
We seek recent PhD’s with skills in some reasonable subset of the
following:
* Expertise on the measurement and functional analysis of plant traits
* Experience and expertise with data management and databases (e.g., MS
Access)
* Interest and expertise in analyzing theoretical models and/or empirical
patterns of community structure and change – macroecology, neutral models,
etc.
* Expertise in multivariate statistical analysis
* Proficiency in applying ordination techniques (e.g., PCOrd or Primer)
* Experience supervising students and/or technical staff
* Knowledge of the eastern / Midwestern flora and plant communities
* Excellent writing and communication skills
* Ability and willingness to work effectively as part of a team

Term: 1.5 – 2.5 years, starting Winter or Spring 2007-08
Closing Date: Open until filled
Compensation: Starting salary of ~$36K, commensurate with skills &
experience, plus an excellent benefits package including high-quality
health care and ice fishing in the winter . . .

Application Procedures:
Please look over the materials mentioned above and then compose an
application consisting of:
1. A cover letter specifically addressing which of the skills and
qualifications listed above that you would bring to the position
2. A current curriculum vitae
3. 1-2 (p)reprints of your papers or manuscripts – pdf’s are fine
4. A list of 3-4 references including current contact information (email
and phone number)
5. A 1-2 page statement laying out:
   a) what you expect or hope to get out of this experience,
   b) what particular aspects of the position most interest you (and why)

Please send application materials (preferably as email attachments) to:
Don Waller   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Dept. of Botany (608) 263-2042
232 Birge Hall
430 Lincoln Drive