Dear Colleagues,
At some point in my career I'd like to teach a moderately, large non-majors
oriented course, delineating basic concepts in ecology and resource
management, via film, art and literature.  One idea would be to have the
film, etc. illustrate the point which could then be reinforced via a book
chapter or edited journal article so that they would be understandable by
non-majors.  Does anyone teach a course like this?  If you do, would you
mind sharing your materials?  If you don't but have ideas about specific
films, short stories, paintings, sculptures, etc. please let me know and
please also tell us why you would chose that work (i.e. what concept it
illustrates).  I have a pretty good background in the visual arts, so help
with literature and film would be appreciated.  As an example of what I'm
looking for, I would use the film Dersu Uzala by Kurasawa to illustrate the
role of humans relationship to nature. Thanks for your help. g2

--
Gary D. Grossman

Distinguished Research Professor - Animal Ecology
Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, USA 30602

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~grossman

Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish