A07/149

UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO
Te Whare Wananga o Otago

Dunedin, New Zealand

Postdoctoral Fellow
Evolutionary Biology of Parasites
(Fixed-term)

DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY

Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the position
of Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Zoology.  This position is
funded by a grant from the Marsden Fund to Professor Robert Poulin and Dr
Devon Keeney, and is available for three years.

The appointee will have expertise in molecular ecology, particularly with
microsatellite markers; experience in experimental parasitology would be
an important asset but is not essential.

Our research programme aims to investigate the key factors influencing the
evolution of host specificity in parasites. More specifically, the
research will examine how plasticity in phenotype (morphology and
behaviour) and genetic variation affect the ability of parasites to
exploit novel hosts. Using a native New Zealand marine trematode
(parasitic flatworm) species that infects coastal crustaceans as an
experimental model, this work will combine experimental parasitology and
genetic analyses to break new ground in our understanding of the factors
influencing the ecology of resource utilization and the evolution of
parasitic diseases.

Applicants must have completed a PhD and have previous scientific
publications in a relevant field.  We wish to fill this position by
February 2008 or soon thereafter.

Specific enquiries may be directed to Professor Robert Poulin, Department
of Zoology, Tel 03 479 7983, Fax 03 479 7584, Email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reference Number: A07/149.              Closing Date: Friday 30 November
2007.

APPLICATION INFORMATION

With each application you must include an application form, an EEO
Information Statement, a covering letter, contact details for three
referees and one copy of your full curriculum vitae.  For an application
form, EEO Information Statement and a full job description go to:
www.otago.ac.nz/jobs   Alternatively, contact the Human Resources
Division, Tel 03 479 8269, Fax 03 479 8279, Email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.

E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa
whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.