As a spin-off on Wayne Tyson's comments, to me, "services" imply work done
or products provided for an unrelated entity (in this case, humans).  It can
also imply that humans perceive themselves outside the realm of the
ecosystem; not interrelated with the workings of the system.  It conjures
images that humans are "entitled" to the benefits from the world around them
but are not in any way responsible in returning back to the system in a
"sustainable" (another word I am beginning to shy away from its use) way.

It seems to me one of the first steps to implementing a paradigm shift in
the human perception of the role they play in environment and specifically,
as members of ecosystems, is to use vernacular that suggests we are
intertwined and human actions directly impact their environment and
ecosystem, not to mention the longevity that the system will have to provide
quality "services".

I struggle with understanding the human psyche enough to convince them that
the "services" provided by their local water systems are limited and their
actions with respect to the aquatic system directly impact the timeframe of
that limitation. Humans should not have rights of entitlement when it comes
to ecosystem "services".   It seems to me, if people understand or
"perceive" they are a "cog in the wheel", their behavior would be modified.
Could it be as simple as paying close attention to the words used to
communicate and the perceived ideas conjured by the use of particular words?

Sidebar: I am a PhD candidate at Ohio State University working on the role
of protozoa and their use as a bioassessment tool in headwater streams.   I
am also a NSF fellow working with secondary teachers in my research
watershed developing/implementing watershed ecological curriculum from an
inquiry, place-based perspective.

DKHersha