My department at the University of Maryland seeks to fill two
positions in the near future.  One, rank open, in evolutionary
biology, and the other a tenured position for an ecologist who will
direct the graduate program that I now direct.  It's a friendly
department, already has a few married couples, and we just opened a
new wing on our building. The advertisement should be out in Science
on 2 November.

David Inouye

TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND

TITLE: Associate Professor or Professor (tenure track)

RESPONSIBILITIES

The Department of Biology at the University of Maryland, College
Park, is seeking to hire an Ecologist at the Associate or Full
professor level. Candidates will be expected to have an outstanding
research program addressing questions of broad significance in
ecology or conservation biology using empirical, experimental and/or
theoretical approaches.  The successful candidate will teach within
her/his area of research expertise within our Ph.D. programs and will
direct the high profile Sustainable Development and Conservation
Biology (CONS) M.S. program within the College of Chemical and Life Sciences.

Significant instructional and administrative support will be
available to facilitate operation of the CONS program (
<http://www.chemlife.umd.edu/cons>www.chemlife.umd.edu/cons ) so that
the Director can maintain a vibrant and productive research program.
Through research grounded in the biological sciences, the successful
candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to
multidisciplinary initiatives on campus. The University of Maryland
is committed to advancing environmental research and problem-solving
via major research initiatives addressing climate change and energy
needs, such as the Joint Global Change Research Institute
(<http://www.globalchange.umd.edu/>www.globalchange.umd.edu), the
Center for Integrative Environmental Research
(<http://www.cier.umd.edu/>www.cier.umd.edu), and the Center for
Environmental Energy Engineering
(<http://www.enme.umd.edu/ceee>www.enme.umd.edu/ceee).

Our proximity to Washington, Baltimore, and the Maryland
Biotechnology Corridor facilitates interactions with an extraordinary
range of major research institutions, including the NIH, FDA, The
Smithsonian Institution, USDA and the USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research
Center. For more information visit our web site,
<http://www.life.umd.edu/biology>www.life.umd.edu/biology . To apply
send PDF files of a curriculum vitae, statements of research and
teaching interests, sample publications, and the names and addresses
of three references to Dr. William Fagan, email:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] Consideration of
submitted materials will commence Dec 1st. 2007.

The University of Maryland is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer.  Applications from minorities and women are encouraged.

TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND

TITLE: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor (tenure track)

RESPONSIBILITIES

The Department of Biology at the University of Maryland, College
Park, is seeking tenure-track faculty working on questions of broad
significance within the field of Evolutionary Biology using
empirical, experimental, theoretical or computational approaches.
This includes, but is not limited to, genome evolution, speciation,
the evolution of disease and the evolution of development. Candidates
should have developed, or demonstrate the potential to develop, an
outstanding research program including potential for extramural
funding. The successful candidate will teach within our undergraduate
and graduate programs.

Successful candidates will complement a vibrant group of researchers
in neuroscience, behavior, development, evolution and ecology within
the College of Chemical and Life Sciences
(<http://www.chemlife.umd.edu/>www.chemlife.umd.edu ) and the Center
for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
(<http://www.cbcb.umd.edu/>www.cbcb.umd.edu ). The College has
recently completed construction of a 155,000 sq. ft. Bioscience
Research Building

Our proximity to Washington, Baltimore, and the Maryland
Biotechnology Corridor facilitates interactions with an extraordinary
range of major research institutions, including the NIH, FDA,
Smithsonian Institution, USDA and the USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research
Center. For more information visit our web site at
<http://www.chemlife.umd.edu/biology>www.chemlife.umd.edu/biology .
To apply send PDF files of a curriculum vitae, statements of research
and teaching interests, sample publications, and the names and
addresses of three references to Dr. Thomas Kocher, email: