Landscape Ecology & Global Change
M.S. & Ph.D. Research Assistantships – Colorado State University

I am seeking highly motivated M.S. and/or Ph.D. candidates to join my landscape
ecology lab. Ongoing projects are centered on global change: (1) forest
dynamics, disturbance and climate change in Rocky Mountain forests, and (2)
exotic plant invasions of forest ecosystems. More information on these projects
and the lab’s research are available at:
http://hla.colostate.edu/faculty/martin.htm

This position will offer the opportunity to develop skills and experience in
disturbance ecology, ecological modeling, and landscape ecology. A primary
focus of each project will be the field parameterization and application of a
forest simulation model (SORTIE; www.sortie-nd.org) to model future forest and
disturbance dynamics under IPCC predicted climate change scenarios. Field data
and model scenarios will be used to help identify likely changes in forest
communities including exotic invasions, and key thresholds in the
species-disturbance-climate interface. Graduate students will have the
opportunity to creatively pursue their own questions within these broader
themes. This position requires a love of mountains, given the
physically-challenging nature of field research in the Rocky Mountains. The
assistantship includes a graduate student stipend, health insurance benefits,
and the cost of tuition. Colorado State University is located in Fort Collins,
Colorado, known for !
 its sunny clime, friendly denizens, and world class outdoor activities.

Please contact me for more information or with questions at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Applications for this position should be submitted through the Graduate Degree
Program in Ecology (http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/GDPE/Homepage.html).
Indicate your research interests and qualifications in your personal statement,
particularly G.I.S., statistical and modeling skills, and fieldwork experience.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible with a deadline of
February 15th, 2008.  The start date is flexible, but no later than June 1st,
2008.

Dr. Patrick H. Martin
Dept. Horticulture & Landscape Architecture
Colorado State University
215 Shepardson
1173 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1173