Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Positions in Disease Dynamics and Evolution
Dept. of Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC

To prospective post-docs:
Funding is available for a postdoctoral associate position with Katia Koelle
in the Dept. of Biology at Duke University in Durham, NC as early as Jan. 1,
2008. The position involves the development and application of mathematical
and statistical models to understand the ecological and evolutionary
patterns of rapidly evolving pathogens. Specific applications include
influenza virus in multiple different hosts (including humans), dengue virus
in humans, and HIV. Applicants should have (or be expecting) a Ph.D. in
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Biology, or Applied Math. Experience in
mathematical modeling or statistical data analysis is necessary. Previous
research in infectious diseases is desired but not required. The ideal
candidate would also be familiar with research in the field of complex systems.

Post-doc salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The
initial appointment will be for one year. Funding is available for a second
year, with continuation depending upon performance. Interested applicants
should contact me by e-mail by December 15. See below for further information.

To prospective graduate students:
If you are interested in using quantitative approaches to study the ecology
and evolution of infectious diseases, please feel free to contact me by
e-mail. I am looking for one to two graduate students to start next fall
(August 2008) and the following one (August 2009).

I am specifically interested in students who think innovatively and
preferably have some background in theoretical biology (ideally ecology
and/or evolutionary biology). Although undergraduate degrees in math or
computer science are not necessary, the candidate must already possess or
feel extremely comfortable in developing quantitative skills. Main research
projects in my lab currently focus on (1) understanding the role of climate
variability in driving disease dynamics, (2) developing mathematical and
statistical models to understand the disease dynamics of rapidly evolving
pathogens such as influenza and dengue, (3) drawing quantitative comparisons
between the ecological and evolutionary patterns of rapidly evolving
pathogens at the population level versus at the within-host level. Although
most of this research has focused on bacterial and viral pathogens that
infect humans, current projects are also considering the ecological and
evolutionary dynamics of pathogens in other hosts (e.g., avian and equine
hosts).

Individuals interested in joining my lab should generally be interested in
one or more of the research topics listed above. I expect incoming graduate
students to be excited about their research, to be able to synthesize and
incorporate material from different fields, including ecology, evolution,
virology, applied math, and epidemiology. Most importantly, graduate
students of mine should see infectious diseases as providing a great model
system to quantitatively study open questions in ecology and evolutionary
biology. See below for further information.

Further information:
Beyond the important interactions that grad students and post-docs will have
with ecologists and evolutionary biologists in the Department of Biology,
there are also many other resources at Duke that a student/post-doc studying
infectious diseases with me could tap into. Specifically, Duke is home to a
recently founded Global Health Institute, a Theoretical Immunology group, a
Vaccine Institute, and a Center for Nonlinear and Complex Systems. My lab
has established collaborations with several of these groups, and is looking
to further these ties. Furthermore, NESCent, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State
are all within half an hour of Duke University, creating a larger academic
community in the Triangle Region.

Contact info:
Katia Koelle
Dept. of Biology