=?iso-8859-1?Q?Sami_Ullah?= wrote:
> Hey Ecologers:
>
> I have a various variables for running multiple linear regression model
> using GLM. Some of my predictor variables are non-normally distributed.
> Using multiple linear regression, I use proc-univariate to check if the
> residuals in the regression model met the normality criteria, which the
> model did.
>
> Now I am wondering if it is advisable if I can keep the skewed predictor
> variables in the model or have to go for non-parametric analysis?

The distribution of the predictor variables is irrelevant, so you can
happily keep them in.  Well, the distribution is almost irrelevant.  You
can get problems if they are co-linear (i.e. highly correlated), or if
you have outliers (which can have a large influence on the fit).

I've come across the impression that the predictors have to be normally
distributed a few times, but I don't know where it originates from -
certainly not from statistical theory.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/