  From: David Hilmy=20
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Cc: 'William Silvert'=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:11 PM
  Subject: RE: invasive species and cats (Bill Silvert)

  And if you will forgive me Bill, but perhaps one way of dealing with =
the invasive arrow bamboo, Pseudosasa japonica, would be to perhaps =
introduce one of it's feared enemies, the Giant Panda (apparently arrow =
bamboo is favored by both Mei Xiang and Tian Tian here in DC) and as it =
has been documented that pandas in the wild are known to feed on 42 =
species of bamboo [Taylor AH, Qin Z. 1993. Ageing Bamboo Culms to Assess =
Bamboo Population Dynamics in Panda Habitat. Env Cons 20:76-79], other =
problem species may also suffer the same fate. Although we will all have =
heard of the trouble we can get into when we introduce the alien =
predator to the alien target species and find that they end up targeting =
everything native as well (the concept of "alternative prey abundance" =
supporting predators came a little too late for some); and what of that =
American Dream, KFN: Kentucky Fried Nutria, "a 12-pound water rat that =
culinary experts say tastes somewhat like a beaver, is less greasy than =
a 'coon but is not quite as good as possum?" [Grimes, D. Sarasota =
Herald-Tribune, 1997]

  =20

  David

  =20

  David Hilmy

  Director of Conservation

  KuTunza Environmental Education Program

  Europe: 27 avenue de l'Op=E9ra, 75001 Paris, France

  USA: 2804 Shepherd St., Mount Rainier, MD 20712; 202-316-4902

  =20

  =20

  =20