Bill Silvert underscores a point I was trying to make in my original post.

Humans are not only a part of the ecosystem; they have become one of
the dominant ecologicaland geological forces on the planet.

My own approach to this has been to insert humanity into the picture
as case studies to illustrate mainstream ecological themes.

Examples:  Talking about Biogeochemical cycling - Introduce a section
on cultural eutrophication and Lake Winnipeg.  Talking about different
population growth models - lets apply that to the human population and
discuss issues of carying capacity.

Of course, my class is supposed to be a SCIENCE class, and talking
about Hamanity's role in the biosphere could threaten to bring out
passionate views.  But I am careful throughout to emphasize that if we
want to solve environmental problems, understanding their biophysical
basis is essential as a precursor to policy.

One or two other posts to this thread separated out environmental and
ecological science.  I do not think such a separation is real.  When
we are talking about environmental science, we are talking about
aspects of ecology.

And there is another thing: we appear to be at a critical juncture in
history. We are in the process of altering fundamental aspects of the
biosphere.  Numerous environmental problems (climate change,
overfishing, soil erosion, peak oil, invasives etc) are reaching
critical junctures.  Yet ( and I challenge teachers to probe student
awareness of these issues) a majority of students are only vaguely
aware of these problems.  For this reason, I am continually thinking
about ways to overhaul my teaching to keep the fundamentals but also
teach about our new and unfortunate reality.

Cheers,

Andy Park (University of Winnipeg)