Out of the thousands of correlates and potential causative factors that aff=
ect =93the environment,=94 why choose to examine divorce? If this is simply=
 basic research, it is not really that surprising or interesting. If it was=
 applied research, designed to influence policy, I don=92t see any good pol=
icy resulting from this information. Are we to join forces with social cons=
ervatives and advise people against a (sometimes very healthy) choice to ge=
t divorced? =20
=20
Using the same logic as in this press release, increased crime rates are go=
od for the environment because high crime leads to more people in prison, f=
ewer households, and much lower per-capita consumption of prisoners versus =
free citizens.=20
=20
There are many other controllable factors that affect resource use that war=
rant extensive collaborative investigation. I=92m amazed that this particul=
ar study was highlighted in PNAS.

************************************************ Lee Dyer Department of Eco=
logy and Evolutionary Biology 310 Dinwiddie Hall Tulane University New Orle=
ans, LA 70118 Web: www.caterpillars.org phone: 504-862-8289 (lab) 504-862-8=
288 (office) fax: 504-862-8940

> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:39:06 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: FW: Environmental News 12-3-2007> To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>=
 > > > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [=
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary Whelan> Sent: Wed=
nesday, December 05, 2007 9:13 AM> To: IFC> Subject: Environmental News 12-=
3-2007> > The Planet Feels the Pain of Divorce> EAST LANSING, Michigan, Dec=
ember 3, 2007 (ENS) - Divorce is bad for the> environment finds the first s=
tudy to link resource use with the ecology> of marriage and divorce. > > Ac=
ross the United States and in 11 other countries studied, soaring> divorce =
rates have created more households with fewer people. Each time> a family b=
reaks up the individual members set up households that take up> more space =
and consume more energy and water than the same people used> when living to=
gether. > > The findings of Professor Jianguo "Jack" Liu and Eunice Yu at M=
ichigan> State University are published in this week's online edition of th=
e> "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences." > > "Not only the Uni=
ted States, but also other countries, including> developing countries such =
as China and places with strict religious> policies regarding divorce, are =
having more divorced households," Liu> said. > > "The consequent increases =
in consumption of water and energy and using> more space are being seen eve=
rywhere," he said.> > > Each member of a former couple uses more resources =
living separately> than when living in the relationship. (Photo credit Kans=
as State U.)> Broken couples also increase demand for housebuilding and inf=
rastructure> such as new roads. > > In the United States and 11 other count=
ries such as Brazil, Costa Rica,> Ecuador, Greece, Mexico and South Africa =
between 1998 and 2002, if> divorced households had combined to have the sam=
e average household size> as married households, there could have been 7.4 =
million fewer> households in these countries. > > "A married household uses=
 resources more efficiently than a divorced> household," said Liu. > > In t=
he United States alone in 2005, divorced households used 73 billion> kilowa=
tt-hours of electricity and 627 billion gallons of water that> could have b=
een saved if household size had remained the same as that of> married house=
holds, the scientists found. > > Thirty-eight million extra rooms were need=
ed with associated costs for> heating and lighting. The number of rooms per=
 person in divorced> households was 33 percent to 95 percent greater than i=
n married> households. > > "People's first reaction to this research is sur=
prise, and then it seems> simple, but a lot of things become simple after r=
esearch is done,"> said Liu. > > A professor of fisheries and wildlife and =
Rachel Carson Chair in> Ecological Sustainability at Michigan State, Liu ha=
s spent more than two> decades integrating ecology with social sciences to =
understand how those> interactions affect the environment and biodiversity.=
 > > "Our challenges were to connect the dots and quantify their> relations=
hips," said Liu. "People have been talking about how to protect> the enviro=
nment and combat climate change, but divorce is an overlooked> factor that =
needs to be considered." > > When divorced people returned to married life,=
 the study found that> their environmental footprint shrank back to that of=
 consistently> married households. > > "Solutions are beyond a single idea,=
" Liu said. "Consider the production> of biofuel. Biofuel is made from plan=
ts, which also require water and> space. We're showing divorce has signific=
ant competition for that water> and space. On the other hand, more divorce =
demands more energy. This> creates a challenging dilemma and requires more =
creative solutions." > > The research, Liu said, shows that environmental p=
olicy is more complex> than one single solution. He suggests that governmen=
ts across the world> may need to start factoring in divorce when examining =
environmental> policy. > > New York Seeks to Block Nuclear Plant License Re=
newal NEW YORK, New> York, December 3, 2007 (ENS) - New York state official=
s took their> battle against relicensing of the aging Indian Point nuclear =
power plant> on the Hudson River to another level today. > > New York Gover=
nor Eliot Spitzer, Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, and> Westchester County E=
xecutive Andrew Spano have submitted documents> asking the federal governme=
nt to deny the relicensing of Indian Point> sought by owner-operator Enterg=
y Corporation. > > The papers filed with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission,=
 NRC, identify> dangerous deficiencies in Entergy's relicensing application=
 for Indian> Point related to terrorism, earthquakes, evacuation plans, and=
 the> surrounding population density. > > "The Indian Point relicensing app=
lication wholly fails to address a> number of crucial issues, and it should=
 not be granted in its present> form," said Governor Spitzer. > > In a stat=
ement from its White Plains office, Entergy replied that a> forced shutdown=
 of the Indian Point Energy Center "would severely impact> the economic and=
 environmental health of the Lower Hudson Valley region> and New York City.=
" > > > Indian Point nuclear power plant on the Hudson River at Buchanan, N=
ew> York. (Photo courtesy NRC) "Fear-based rhetoric can not alter the fact>=
 that, depending on seasonal demand, the 2,000 megawatts produced by> India=
n Point supplies between 18 percent and 38 percent of our region's> electri=
city needs with zero greenhouse gas emissions that cause global> warming," =
said the company. > > "I have repeatedly stated that we should close Indian=
 Point as soon as> there is sufficient replacement power available," the go=
vernor said,> "and in the interim we will continue to insist that all envir=
onmental,> safety and security issues are fully evaluated and addressed, in=
 order> to protect the health and safety of the communities surrounding the=
> plant." > > "We cannot continue to roll the dice with the operation of In=
dian Point> - there is simply too much at stake," said Cuomo. "The NRC has>=
 repeatedly ignored the danger that Indian Point poses to New Yorkers -> fr=
om its vulnerability to a terrorist attack, to its incapability to> withsta=
nd potential earthquakes, to its lack of a plausible evacuation> plan in th=
e event of a catastrophe. We must do what is safest for New> York and close=
 Indian Point." > > "This is not only my position," said Spano, "but the po=
sition of our> Board of Legislators which passed a resolution to that effec=
t back in> 2003." > > The petition to intervene released today focuses on s=
afety issues: > > Proximity to the most densely populated area in the Unite=
d States:> About 20 million people * six percent of the nation's population=
 * live> or work within 50 miles of Indian Point. > > Susceptibility to a t=
errorist attack and other security risks: The 9/11> Commission reported tha=
t al-Qaeda terrorists had specifically> contemplated attacking nuclear powe=
r plants with aircraft, and two of> the planes hijacked on September 11, 20=
01 flew near or over Indian> Point. The NRC refuses to require Entergy to s=
afeguard Indian Point> against terrorist attacks from the air. > > Vulnerab=
ility to geographic and seismic issues: Indian Point is located> near a fau=
lt line in New York State and it was not designed to withstand> the seismic=
 forces that the U.S. Geological Survey says are possible. > > Lack of acce=
ptable emergency warning system or evacuation plan: 2006> marked the fourth=
 straight year that Westchester, Rockland, and Orange> Counties refused to =
certify county-based evacuation plans prepared by> Entergy, in large part b=
ecause safe evacuation of the area has been> found to be highly unlikely, i=
f not impossible. > > Indian Point is aging: After nearly 40 years of opera=
tion, the> containment structure and reactor components have weakened, incr=
easing> the risk of a radioactive leak. > Indian Point has a long history o=
f safety incidents due to human error> and equipment failure, the New York =
officials pointed out. > > "Leaks of tritium and strontium-90 have seeped i=
nto the groundwater> underneath the plant and there is evidence they have r=
eached the Hudson> River," they said. "In addition, the facility stores rad=
ioactive> materials on-site because there is no long-term depository for hi=
gh> level nuclear waste." > > Replacing Indian Point's emission free power =
would mean a greater> reliance on fossil-fuel burning plants, countered the=
 company, "leading> to a 20 percent rise in carbon dioxide emissions, a 19 =
percent jump in> nitrous oxide emissions combined with an 11 percent hike i=
n sulfur> dioxide emissions." > > Since purchasing the two nuclear generato=
rs in Buchanan, New York, more> than six years ago, Entergy says it has inv=
ested hundreds of millions of> dollars in Indian Point as part of its ongoi=
ng effort to improve and> maintain the plant's operating systems and to ens=
ure that safety and> security levels are among the highest in the nation. >=
 > "That level of investment and commitment has transformed Indian Point> i=
nto one of the most reliable and best performing plants in the region,> wit=
h a capacity factor of 93 percent over the last three years," Entergy> said=
. > > "When you consider that the New York City subways and the Metropolita=
n> Transit Authority's Metro North trains are among just a few of key> gove=
rnmental facilities that depend on power from Indian Point, the> importance=
 of a reliable, lower cost supply of electricity becomes> clear," said the =
company. > > But the company's arguments failed to persuade U.S. Congressma=
n John> Hall, who represents the district in which Indian Point is located.=
> "Indian Point is everything a nuclear power plant shouldn't be. It has a>=
 history of operating problems, it has been leaking tritium and> cancer-cau=
sing strontium-90 for several years, and it is located in the> most densely=
 populated region of the United States." > > "Today's announcement undersco=
res that our local, state and federal> representatives are united in their =
determination not to let these or> any other unsafe nuclear power plants in=
 our state get a new 20 year> lease on life from the NRC," Hall said. > > A=
lex Matthiessen, president of Riverkeeper, a nonprofit that has been> worki=
ng for years to shut down Indian Point, said, "With an evacuation> plan dec=
lared 'unworkable and unfixable,' inadequate protections against> a terrori=
st attack, and an abysmal safety record, Indian Point poses an> incalculabl=
e risk to public health and safety." > > "With radiation leaking into the H=
udson and outdated technology that> kills over a billion fish each year, In=
dian Point is also a menace to> our natural environment," he said. > > Ente=
rgy's initial 40 year operating licenses for its two reactors,> Reactor Uni=
t 2 and Reactor Unit 3, expire in 2013 and 2015. > > On April 30, 2007, Ent=
ergy applied to the NRC for a 20 year license> extension for its operating =
reactors. On August 1, 2007, the NRC began> reviewing its application. Any =
final decision by the NRC regarding the> relicensing of the Indian Point fa=
cility is reviewable by the federal> Court of Appeals. > > The Indian Point=
 decision could have far-reaching effects since the> nuclear branch of the =
corporation, Entergy Nuclear, is the nation''s> largest provider of license=
 renewal and decommissioning services to the> nuclear power industry. > > T=
he Atomic Safety Licensing Board, a panel of three administrative law> judg=
es, is expected to decide in March 2008 on whether to grant or deny> the pe=
tition for intervention submitted today by the state of New York.> > > On N=
ovember 15, Attorney General Cuomo and the attorneys general of five> other=
 states submitted a letter to the NRC expressing serious concerns> about th=
e NRC's continued disregard of critical safety issues during its> relicensi=
ng process. > > The NRC process for renewing power plant licenses has been =
called into> question by the watchdog charged with oversight of the federal=
 agency. > > A report by the Inspector General for the NRC from September 6=
, 2007> states, "Licensing reporting efforts need improvements," and "those=
 who> read reports could conclude that regulatory decisions are not adequat=
ely> reviewed and documented." It also states that, "Licensees could enter>=
 into the extended period of operation without being in full compliance> wi=
th license renewal terms." > > NRC's relicensing regulations were developed=
 in 1991 and 1995, when the> NRC decided that limiting the scope of its inq=
uiry would make the> relicensing process "more stable and predictable" for =
the licensees. > > Under these regulations, the NRC has granted 49 licenses=
 renewals and> has yet to deny one. > > Seattle Will Review City Projects f=
or Climate Impacts SEATTLE,> Washington, December 3, 2007 (ENS) - Today the=
 Seattle City Council> unanimously passed landmark legislation committing c=
ity agencies> responsible for reviewing projects under the State Environmen=
tal> Protection Act to review those projects for their impact on climate> c=
hange. > > "This is a milestone in our local efforts to stem global warming=
," said> Councilmember Peter Steinbrueck, the legislation's sponsor and cha=
ir of> the Council's Urban Development and Planning Committee. "If we are t=
o> mitigate the impact of greenhouse gas emissions we have to start by> acc=
ounting for them." > > Eight local and regional environmental groups expres=
sed their support> for the legislation during a hearing on November 28. > >=
 Organizational support for the legislation includes Futurewise, Climate> S=
olutions, People for Puget Sound, the People's Waterfront Coalition,> the S=
ierra Club, the Transportation Choices Coalition, and the> Washington Envir=
onmental Council. > > "There is clearly a groundswell of community support,=
" said> Councilmember Richard Conlin. "The people of Seattle understand tha=
t the> time is now to begin moving on doing our part to challenge climate> =
change." > > Council President Nick Licata said, "This is a positive local =
step> toward dealing with a serious global problem." > > > Seattle is makin=
g an attempt to control its contribution to global> climate change. (Photo =
courtesy U. Washington) The legislation will take> effect on March 31 and w=
ill require agencies in the city to begin> working toward accounting for em=
issions in projects that are covered by> the State Environmental Protection=
 Act. > > The Council's action follows an executive order by King County Ex=
ecutive> Ron Sims who ordered county agencies to begin reviewing projects f=
or> their emissions. > > Governor Christine Gregoire's Climate Action Team =
has made similar> recommendations. > > The most recent report by the Interg=
overnmental Panel on Climate Change> characterizes climate change as a more=
 serious crisis than it had> previously stated. > > Unless action is taken =
rapidly, impacts from human activities,> particularly the use of combustion=
 engine driven vehicles, the planet is> headed for calamitous and inevitabl=
e changes that will impact millions> of people and cost millions of lives a=
nd resources, the Council> concludes.. > > "This is just the beginning," sa=
id Steinbrueck. "Seattle has always been> a leader in protecting our enviro=
nment. This legislation continues with> that great tradition." > > Seattle =
Mayor Greg Nickels has worked to make Seattle a leader in the> effort to fi=
nd a solution to the threat of global warming. Since Nickels> launched the =
U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement in 2005, 672> cities across the Un=
ited States have joined Seattle in pledging to> reduce carbon emissions sev=
en percent below 1990 levels by 2012. > > Today, about 24 percent of the co=
untry's population lives in cities that> have decided to take action. > > I=
n September, Mayor Nickels, other city officials, community and> business l=
eaders launched Seattle Climate Action Now, a grassroots> campaign to encou=
rage everyone in Seattle to reduce global warming> pollution at home, on th=
e road and in their neighborhoods. > > "A lot of people want to do somethin=
g about global warming, but they> aren't sure how or where to start," Nicke=
ls said. "Seattle Climate> Action Now will bring saving the planet down to =
earth. > > In November, Mayor Nickels released an update of the city's gree=
nhouse> gas inventory that shows the city has made progress in the effort t=
o cut> emissions and is on target to meet its climate protection goals. > >=
 The report shows that in 2005, the latest year studied, the city's> greenh=
ouse gas emissions were about eight percent below 1990 levels. And> on a pe=
r capita level, the reduction was about 11 percent below 1990. > > Conserva=
tion and climate-friendly policies by Seattle City Light are> responsible f=
or most of the reduction. > > The city has adopted the standards of the Kyo=
to Treaty, which call for> reducing greenhouse gas emissions to five percen=
t below 1990 levels by> 2012. > > "This is a remarkable milestone that show=
s how cities can lead the way> in the fight against global warming," Nickel=
s said. "It is a success> that we can all celebrate. But it is just the sta=
rt of our work. To beat> global warming, we must not only maintain this ach=
ievement but go a> magnitude beyond these numbers. That's why we need every=
one's help in> taking action." > > EPA Orders Cleanup at Tyndall Air Force =
Base PANAMA CITY, Florida,> December 3, 2007 (ENS) - The U.S. Environmental=
 Protection Agency, EPA,> is taking what the agency calls "a major step"> t=
oward cleaning up Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City by compelling> the =
Air Force to properly conduct the cleanup. The cleanup has been in> progres=
s since 1981. > > In November, EPA issued an Order under the Resource Conse=
rvation and> Recovery Act, RCRA, which requires the Air Force to investigat=
e> contamination at the base and take action to clean it up. > > Located on=
e mile southeast of Panama City, in Bay County, Tyndall Air> Force Base cov=
ers 28,823 acres. The base was placed on the EPA Superfund> National Priori=
ties List in 1997.> > > Fighter jets fly over Tyndall Air Force Base. (Phot=
o courtesy U.S. Air> Force)> To date, more than 50 sites have been identifi=
ed on the base as being> potentially contaminated, including municipal and =
industrial waste> landfills, areas used for fire training and the explosion=
 of ordnance,> fuel storage, pesticide storage and mixing areas, and vehicl=
e> maintenance shops. > > The contamination includes polychlorinated biphen=
yls, PCBs, pesticides> such as DDT, heavy metals, volatile and semi-volatil=
e organic compounds,> residues from exploded ordnance, jet fuel and oil. > =
> These hazarous substances have been found in the soils, sediments,> surfa=
ce waters, and groundwater at the base. > > The EPA will review future work=
 at the base to ensure that it is> conducted according to regulations and t=
hat the cleanup is protective of> human health and the environment. > > The=
 Florida Department of Environmental Protection will review the> reports, t=
he investigations, and proposed cleanup remedies for the base.> > > In Octo=
ber 1985, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service conducted sediment> sampling t=
hroughout St. Andrew Bay, including Fred Bayou - also known as> Shoal Point=
, which is used as a waterway for barges and small ships to> deliver produc=
ts and building supplies. > > Analyses identified the presence of DDT and i=
ts metabolites, which were> detected at levels higher than were found in sa=
mples collected from any> other locations in the bay. > > The Order describ=
es the steps the Air Force must take and the time> frames in which to compl=
ete those steps, from initiation of an> investigation to actual cleanup mea=
sures. > > In addition to the technical work, the Order requires that the A=
ir Force> develop a community relations plan to involve the surrounding com=
munity> in the cleanup process. > > The Air Force began its Installation Re=
storation Program, IRP, at the> base in 1981. Presently, the program consis=
ts of 37 IRP sites with 13> active sites - five of which are being investig=
ated under the states> petroleum program. > > The majority of investigation=
 work at the installation was completed by> 2006 and cleanup is scheduled t=
o be in place by 2008-2009. Selected> remediation implementation, monitorin=
g and land use restrictions will> continue beyond this date. > > The goal i=
s to have all response actions other than long term operation> or monitorin=
g completed by 2014. > > The EPA says technical challenges at this site inc=
lude groundwater level> changes from drought and flooding; technology appli=
cations adjustments> and controlling contaminant migration during dredging.=
 > > The Tyndall is the home base for the 325th Fighter Wing, whose primary=
> mission is to provide air dominance training for F-15C Eagle and F-22> Ra=
ptor pilots and maintenance personnel and air battle managers to> support t=
he combat Air Force. > > Extreme Rainstorms a New Texas Trend> DALLAS, Texa=
s, December 4, 2007 (ENS) - During the past 60 years,Texas> has experienced=
 extreme downpours much more frequently than before 1948,> according to a n=
ew report by the nonprofit Environment Texas. These> findings are consisten=
t with the predicted impacts of global warming,> the group says. > > "Scien=
tists expect some parts of the United States to receive more> precipitation=
 as a result of global warming, while other parts receive> less. But regard=
less of the trend in total precipitation, scientists> predict that the rain=
 and snow that does fall will be more likely to> come in big downpours and =
heavy snowstorms," the group says. > > Storms with heavy rainfall are now 2=
8 percent more frequent in Texas> than they were 60 years ago, the report f=
ound. And in the Dallas-Fort> Worth area, storms with extreme precipitation=
 increased in frequency by> 42 percent from 1948 to 2006. > > "At the rate =
we*re going, what was once the storm of the decade will> soon seem like jus=
t another downpour," said Luke Metzger, director of> Environment Texas. > >=
 Metzger pointed to the rainstorms that hit Texas in the summer as an> illu=
stration of what more extreme rainstorms could mean for the region.> Flash =
floods and high water killed 59 people in Texas this summer and> caused mil=
lions of dollars in damages to roads and buildings. > > "More frequent down=
pours, fueled by global warming, will leave Texas> even more vulnerable to =
dangerous flooding in years to come," said> Metzger.> > > Workers clear deb=
ris from a creek in Marble Falls, Texas and replace a> broken water line af=
ter record rainfall of 19 inches in one night. July> 2, 2007 (Photo by Bob =
McMillan courtesy FEMA) The new Environment Texas> report, "When it Rains, =
It Pours: Global Warming and the Rising> Frequency of Extreme Precipitation=
 in the United States," examines> trends in the frequency of large rain and=
 snow events across the> continental United States from 1948 to 2006. > > U=
sing data from 3,000 weather stations and a methodology originally> develop=
ed by scientists at the National Climatic Data Center and the> Illinois Sta=
te Water Survey, the report identifies storms with the> greatest 24-hour pr=
ecipitation totals at each weather station, and> analyzes when those storms=
 occurred. > > Nationally, the report shows that storms with extreme precip=
itation have> increased in frequency by 24 percent across the continental U=
nited> States since 1948. > > At the state level, 40 states show a signific=
ant trend toward more> frequent storms with extreme precipitation, while on=
ly one state,> Oregon, shows a significant decline. > > Dr. Radha Krishnan,=
 an assistant professor at University of> Texas-Dallas, said, "A vast major=
ity of the climate scientists believe> that carbon dioxide accumulation in =
the atmosphere due to human> activities is causing irrevocable changes to t=
he Earth's climate. If we> reduce our energy consumption and therefore the =
release of CO2, we can> begin to turn around the global warming that has be=
en occurring since> the last century." > > CO2, or carbon dioxide, is emitt=
ed when coal, oil and gas are burned.> It acts as a greenhouse, forming a l=
ayer in the atmosphere, trapping the> Sun's heat close to the planet, and r=
aising the planetary temperature. > > "Given the now overwhelming evidence =
for the reality of global warming> and the growing clarity of what is at st=
ake for humanity and for all> life on this planet if we still refuse to add=
ress the threat facing us,> the time for action to be taken to prevent the =
worse consequences from> climate change from happening is now," said Gary S=
tuard, executive> director of the Interfaith Environmental Alliance. > > "P=
eople of faith from the various religious traditions in Texas and> around t=
he world are calling upon ALL clergy and lay women and men,> politicians, a=
nd business leaders to take on the moral leadership to> courageously and se=
lflessly address this pressing crisis," said Stuard.> > > Metzger was caref=
ul to note that an increase in the frequency of extreme> rainstorms does no=
t mean more water will be available in arid Texas.> Scientists expect that,=
 as global warming intensifies, longer periods of> relative dryness will ma=
rk the periods between extreme rainstorms,> increasing the risk of drought.=
 > > "How serious this problem gets is largely within our control," said> M=
etzger, "but only if our country acts boldly to reduce the pollution> that =
fuels global warming." > > Battelle Energy Alliance Cited for Nuclear Safet=
y Violations WASHINGTON,> DC, December 4, 2007 (ENS) - The U.S. Department =
of Energy, DOE, Monday> notified Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC that it will=
 fine the company> $123,750 for violations of the department*s nuclear safe=
ty requirements.> > > Battelle Energy Alliance is the DOE Idaho Operations =
Office prime> contractor for the operation of the Neutron Radiography, NRAD=
, reactor> at the Idaho National Laboratory. > > The Neutron Radiography Re=
actor is used to examine irradiated materials.> The imaging technique utili=
zes thermal neutrons and is used for quality> control in industries which r=
equire precision machining. > > The Preliminary Notice of Violation issued =
by the Energy Department> cited a series of violations that occurred on Aug=
ust 20, 2006 during the> restart and subsequent automatic unplanned shutdow=
n of the NRAD reactor.> > > Violations include failures to adhere to techni=
cal safety requirements> and reactor operating instructions, inadequacies i=
n the reactor> operating instructions, failure to correct known problems wi=
th a reactor> component, and failure to adequately conduct management asses=
sments in> reactor operations. > > In a letter dated December 3 to Battelle=
 President and Laboratory> Director John Grossenbacher, the DOE official in=
 charge of the Office of> Enforcement and the Office of Health, Safety and =
Security says the> agency is "concerned with the lack of formality with whi=
ch the NRAD> reactor was operated on August 20, 2006, and the extended dura=
tion of> this condition prior to the unplanned shutdown of the reactor." > =
> While recognizing that the NRAD reactor "performed as designed when a> lo=
w-voltage condition was detected, and that reactor safety systems were> not=
 compromised," Director Arnold Guevara expressed concern about the> "lack o=
f formality in reactor operations." > > The federal agency faulted Battelle=
 personnel, including the reactor> supervisor, for not applying some "funda=
mental aspects of reactor> operations, such as logkeeping, effective commun=
ication, alarm response,> and troubleshooting and maintenance." > > "Of par=
ticular concern was the unauthorized manipulation that reactor> personnel p=
erformed on the flux regulator, which plays an important role> in controlli=
ng reactor power when the reactor is placed in the automatic> mode of opera=
tion," the DOE said.. > > "Although this condition existed for several year=
s, Battelle Energy> Alliance failed to appropriately address the problem in=
 the 18-month> interval since assuming responsibilities as the prime contra=
ctor in> February 2005 and the occurrence of this event in August 2006," th=
e DOE> said in its letter. > > The proposed civil penalty of $123,750 is ba=
sed on the significance of> the violations yet reflects substantial mitigat=
ion granted by DOE for> Battelle's identification of the issues and correct=
ive actions they have> taken to prevent recurrence of the identified defici=
encies. > > Battelle Energy Alliance will have 30 days to respond with any>=