=20

 Hi,

In answer to Kathleen, some folks wrote years ago that a rare Californian sp=
ecies, Arctostaphylos pallida, was effectively extinct because of swamping o=
f its gene pool from planted cultivars in the vicinity of the last remaining=
 extant populations.=C2=A0=20

On this subject, I hope that everyone has read:=C2=A0=20

=C2=A0

McKay, J. K., C. E. Christian, S. Harrison,
and K. J. Rice. 2005. "How Local Is Local?" A Review of Practical and
Conceptual Issues in the Genetics of Restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432=
-440.

Grey Hayes
Soquel, California

=20