Honorable Forum:

It is further heartening and exciting to see ESA taking the lead on
such issues, and judging from the very high quality of their last
one, I trust that the project is in good and deliberate hands.  That
should not, however, prevent this list from providing grist for the
ESA mill.  I hope a significant percentage of the >6,000 members of
this list will post specific ideas in this regard; a flood of
enthusiasm, discussion, winnowing, and technical evaluation, while
perhaps a bit time-consuming, might help to knock another one out of
the park!

I hope also that there will be some new ideas beyond the usual
"ecological services" concept and some real intellectual COURAGE
shown--enough to maybe make the evening news!  I hope that some
dramatic comparisons will be made that incorporate starkly
contrasting value issues paired with the quantitative ones (which are
often difficult to justify in quantitative terms--that's precisely
why value examples are so important).  I did try, for example, to
work an example of value contrasted with price into both of my Op-Ed
pieces about the California condor in the 1980's (New York Times,
1986 Feb 08 and San Francisco Chronicle, 1986 Jan 16), but limited
space prevented its retention in the published articles (I may have
worked it in somewhere else, but I can't remember where or when).  I
recall trying to make the point that the entire condor recovery
program cost was less that even a single fighter plane (how could any
sane society value any species, much less such a spectacularly
"charismatic" one as the California condor, at less than one
expendable vehicle of death among many "squanderons" of them?).  I
think I even tried to appeal to fellow aviators to pony up a few
bucks to help a magnificent real bird, but that, admittedly, was a
bit of a stretch.  Even though this may not be a good example of
value/price contrasting, I hold out hope that the example gives
someone a better idea of how to express the principle in current-day terms.

I look forward to a whole flock of ideas that will lead to a knockout
of a statement that will set off a firestorm of public interest in
the fact so obvious to ecologists that they sometimes forget to
mention it--that it is no coincidence that economics and ecology
share the same root.  We are all in this "house," this earth,
together, and all acts have consequences--and true progress must be
defined as weighing them all in advance of action.

Enthusiastically y'all's,

WT

"Americans know the price of everything, but the value of
nothing."  --An unattributed "modification" of Oscar Wilde's original
quote, who described cynics in those terms.