I'd like to second Ashwani's comment from the email below:

"I really do think Jared Diamond's basic point is, if we want to take a
honest crack at "solving" carrying capacity issues, we need to be
looking in our own homes first.  If that's true, I agree with him."
=20
And I'd like to extend this basic principle to ESA and suggest
that as we develop a policy statement on economic growth
we include a strong and clear section derived from=20
self-reflexive and self-critical understanding of our own role=20
in perpetuating the problematic growth paradigm. ESA is one
"home" that we need to look to first for both understanding the
root cause of our current ecological crisis and finding the=20
solution. In ESA, as in likely most of our individual homes,
universities, agencies, offices, organizations, corporations,
including my own, the growth paradigm is present in almost
every thought and action. We talk, plan and act to grow our
membership, to grow our journals and publications, to=20
increase our funding, to increase our power and influence,
to increase our material research capacities, to increase=20
our data and monitoring systems, etc. etc. Caught up in this
same cultural mindset, I work to increase my publications,
research projects, grants, students, income, retirement funds,
etc. It is all about growth and increase, and this systemic
fundamentalist goal becomes the basis for rationalizing all
manner of consumption, waste, rushing, short-cuts, lack of
full accounting, short-term thinking, competitive anxiety, etc.
We rationalize and compare to other sectors and say that
we must compete and grow or else the non-ecological or
non-science or various "other" sectors will get the upper=20
hand. We criticize agriculture and energy and transportation
and housing and cities and planning and every other sector.
But we are just as consumptive and just as growth oriented.
=20
Stephen Covey of "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"=20
fame wrote (paraphrased if not verbatim) "Any time I think=20
the problem is 'out there', that thought is the problem."
=20
We could make ESA a microcosm of the sustainable=20
future. We could look inward and solve the climate, growth,
and other environmental crises at home first, and then lead
by example. Solving the problem in-house is likely the=20
harder part! This could be another reason we like to spend
more time looking outward and elsewhere. Even admitting
this does not make it easy - it is still wicked hard to go
against the great rushing torrent of the mainstream. For
this issue of scale I think we need to look for strength in=20
numbers and in positive feedback - I think we need to find
ways to convert to the non-growth, (dynamic) steady state,=20
descent path as whole communities and networks and as
networks with full circles including social functions like=20
funders, researchers, publishers, educators, government.
These kinds of social "trophic" groups form full circles to
fund, conceive research, carry out, test results, report,=20
publish, promulgate and educate, apply and implement=20
technology, policy and management relative to ecological=20
knowledge. If ESA alone tried to change paradigms away=20
from growth, we might get swept away by all these other=20
partners if they did not join in our 180 degree course=20
correction. But if a set of partners from all of these sectors=20
could change in concert, we could run the entire enterprise=20
in a new way.
=20
One last thought is that if we see ourselves as caught
in a "vicious cycle" and find ourselves thinking "I can't
change the system", it may help to try to band together
to re-wire or re-route our social networks into new=20
cycles - like a "glorious cycle", or a "soft landing cycle"=20
or some other such beneficial type of collective=20
self-reinforcing culture, mindset and action plan.

Maybe...some dreaming "out loud", on the eve of
Martin Luther King day. I could be off, but it's some
honest 2 cents worth of rough ideas and hopefully
good intentions...
=20
Dan Fiscus, still unsustainable after all these years
=20
=20