Post-doctoral Research Associate

We seek a post-doctoral researcher interested in applying molecular techniques
to a variety of
questions in the general area of the evolutionary reproductive ecology of
free-spawning marine
invertebrates.  Possible projects include:

1) Assessing the contribution of genotype at the sea urchin sperm bindin locus
to fertilization in
different flow regimes, in laboratory flumes, using microsatellites for
paternity analysis and
sequencing of cloned bindin alleles.

2) Exploring introgression and gamete recognition in hybridizing blue mussels
using a
combination of molecular markers for species and hybrid ID, assays for gamete
interactions, and
characterization of multiple sperm lysin loci.

3) Evaluating the causes and consequences of multiple paternity in a colonial
ascidian via
microsatellite-based paternity analysis.

A Ph.D. degree and prior experience with molecular methods is required.
Support is initially
available for one year, with continuation subject to future funding.

Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
Please send a CV and a cover letter to Phil Yund, Marine Science Center,
University of New
England, 11 Hills Beach Road, Biddeford, ME 04005.  Electronic applications may
be submitted to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The University of New England is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer and strongly
encourages the application of candidates of diverse backgrounds. Please see our
website (http://
www.une.edu) for additional information.