Nice presentation.

  I am not disputing the appearance of dead zones.  We have been seeing them in
the mainstem of the Chesapeake during the last few years.
  The 'excessive' algae growth model is probably appropriate in the Chesapeake
Bay, possibly the Baltic, as they tend to enclosed & relatively small areas,
where nutrient concentrations can escalate rapidly.

  My question is that model sufficient to explain dead zones encountered in
well cleanesed open sea/ocean areas, where the nutrient conc would not escalate
that much.

  SO the question is there another/other factors acting outside of the dead
algae model, or such factors acting synergistically.

  The more concrete answer is: are there studies that quantify the nutrient
levels, the expected algae that would generate, and the O2 needed to decompose
that biomass of algae.

  Esat Atikkan

Ned Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  In case anyone is teaching a class on this topic,
please consider directing your students to this news
brief we prepared in November, 2006.

http://sciencebulletins.amnh.org/?sid=b.s.dead_zones.20061113&src=l

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs