Grim, Tomáš. A possible role of social activity
to explain differences in publication output
among ecologists. Oikos 0:0-0.  (in press, from a Czech author).

Publication output is the standard by which
scientific productivity is evaluated. Despite a
plethora of papers on the issue of publication
and citation biases, no study has so far
considered a possible effect of social activities
on publication output. One of the most frequent
social activities in the world is drinking
alcohol. In Europe, most alcohol is consumed as
beer and, based on well known negative effects of
alcohol consumption on cognitive performance, I
predicted negative correlations between beer
consumption and several measures of scientific
performance. Using a survey from the Czech
Republic, that has the highest per capita beer
consumption rate in the world, I show that
increasing per capita beer consumption is
associated with lower numbers of papers, total
citations, and citations per paper (a surrogate
measure of paper quality). In addition I found
the same predicted trends in comparison of two
separate geographic areas within the Czech
Republic that are also known to differ in beer
consumption rates. These correlations are
consistent with the possibility that leisure time
social activities might influence the quality and
quantity of scientific work and may be potential
sources of publication and citation biases.